Survivor

J

JeffP

I've been out on some walks with the dog on Lower Middle Creek. I always love to check out creeks in October looking for survivors.. The water is low and crystal clear. You can see everything if the sun shines just right. The leaves have built dams and there is plenty of quality holding water. I've seen caddis and some pretty BWOs and plenty of midges the last week. My problems include the dog, lots of leaves, and pods of suckers and fallfish that are aways on the move so it's tough to see if there are trout among them. I haven't seen any reds.Only a couple that could have been trout. Today, I saw one right at the top below the bridge and managed a quick snap. Anyone else like to walk or fish for survivors in the fall in marginal waters? By the way, stocked or wild? Just kidding!

Attachments

• Twin Bridges.jpg
    Twin Bridges.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Survivor.jpg
    Survivor.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Dead Carp.jpg
    Dead Carp.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 175
Was antiquing with wife and dog in Adamstown. In front of mad hatter antiques flows what I believe is muddy creek. I saw 2 trout and a bunch of fall fish. Also one fish that looked alot like a perch. I felt that a bit odd but who knows. Yeah conditions for spotting trout/other fish are great in the low clear water with out the leaf canopy castng shadows on the water.

That’s Little Muddy Ck and it supports a very low density wild brown trout population even in Adamstown, though not enough in town to officially call that stretch a wild trout stretch. Nevertheless, they are there at times so so occasional survival of some stocked trout through the summer in that stream in that location is quite possible. You may have also seen a wild fish.

The fish that appeared to be a perch may have been a creek chubsucker.

Was antiquing with wife and dog in Adamstown. In front of mad hatter antiques flows what I believe is muddy creek. I saw 2 trout and a bunch of fall fish. Also one fish that looked alot like a perch. I felt that a bit odd but who knows. Yeah conditions for spotting trout/other fish are great in the low clear water with out the leaf canopy castng shadows on the water.
I've checked out Little Muddy when my kids had a baseball game in Bowmansville. Friend caught a couple wilds near a campground. It looked nice. My family gives me crap whenever I have to "check out the stream." I will probably crash sometime looking at a stream while driving.

I known this is last years post. I love checking out streams this time of year looking for survivors. Guess what! A trout was sitting in almost the exact same spot! Again, couldn't catch him as the water was so still, i really could not feed my line downstream and get a good drift. I saw a trout on lower Hammer and that one on Middle. A ton of fallfish and suckers made it tough to see trout. Many of the fish were 12 inches. Fish sticks would be in his glory. I did catch a couple nice fallfish. They would spook so easily. There were a couple rises and a couple caddis, midges, and 1 large spinner. Just cool to be out.

I known this is last years post. I love checking out streams this time of year looking for survivors. Guess what! A trout was sitting in almost the exact same spot! Again, couldn't catch him as the water was so still, i really could not feed my line downstream and get a good drift. I saw a trout on lower Hammer and that one on Middle. A ton of fallfish and suckers made it tough to see trout. Many of the fish were 12 inches. Fish sticks would be in his glory. I did catch a couple nice fallfish. They would spook so easily. There were a couple rises and a couple caddis, midges, and 1 large spinner. Just cool to be out.
I am going on a float trip tomorrow that is 7 miles of targeting native fall fish and they get into the high teens where I am going and I will run into little to no stocked pets just real fish, I am pumped.

I am going on a float trip tomorrow that is 7 miles of targeting native fall fish and they get into the high teens where I am going and I will run into little to no stocked pets just real fish, I am pumped.
How that float trip go?

How that float trip go?
Good! Me and fellow daulphin county league of chubsman members @Captain Wader Farts and the @therodfather floated a remote stream in central PA looking for fall fish. Conditions were tough. Very Low water, sunny, and spooky fish. We got a few though heres a couple photos.

32D1C9E7 F727 4F64 8A26 CBAB407B358B
9DDCE7EF 2FF3 4ED0 A6EB 8FB6CB79CE60

C6D818B3 E36C 40AA BB21 95FCB06B28A1
EC893C6C E05D 4651 9332 C6B961496593

It was a long float, but one I would do many times over, especially if the water got up to 150-200 cfs. Had a blast, I want to shout out to our dearest Betty for picking me up at the pub after the trip. As they say:"a bad day of fishing is still a good day of drinking" she is the real mvp.
So thankful for DCLoC and all of the events that are had and the people that I have been meeting along the way. Such a great group of people. I cannot wait for the next grill out.

Back