Surprising trout

F

Floggingtrout

Hit a local water for some smallmouth and caught 4 rainbows between 15 and 18 inches. Was not expecting them to have made this heat wave. All hit crayfish crank. Seemed spunky on the release. Maybe these fish can handle temps better than we give them credit for? Was in very strong riffle area. By the way I didn’t catch a smallmouth on 4 fall fish and a small pickerel

Did you check the water temp before you fished?

Nope was smallmouth fishing so didn’t cross my mind was in main stem schuylkill south of Hamburg. They must have came from a stocked stream In the area

It's pretty common to catch stocked trout in summer when pursuing warm water species. I even carry a creel well into late June and July when bass fishing so as to keep any stockies I may catch.

Nevertheless, sometimes strange things like this happen. My guess would be that sudden higher flows in the watershed, and maybe lower water temps, put these fish on the move in recent days(?). Another possibility may be some sort of spring feed on the stream bottom. Trout will lay up on spring seeps in river channels all summer long and even though the river reads temps in the 80s, those trout will just stick on that spring hole until conditions improve.

Cool report.

I belong to a R&G club in the western Poconos. It is expensive to stock these trout so it makes a lot of sense to take care of the trout so that they survive to live another day(s).

Most members know this and practice C&R. Predatory eagles, ospreys, and otters know that those trout are there too. I see them all the time that I am there.

The trout that do holdover adapt and become very different from when they were first stocked. Not quite wild, but more challenging and fun to catch(and release again) from when they were initially stocked.

Think the Little Schuylkill along 61 right above Port Clinton gets stocked. Bet they came down from there.

That’s close to Mill Ck, trib to the Schuylkill, a PFBC stocked stream. This is the second time in a few yrs that I have heard of mid to late summer catches of RT from that general area. Mill is not a cold stream, so it is likely that there is a spring or group of spring seeps out in the river below Hamburg that the RT are able to find as the river warms. The Schuylkill gets very warm in that general stretch and otherwise would not allow trout to survive the summer. In addition to the Mill Ck source, Kaercher Ck enters the river in Hamburg and would be an avenue for escaped RT from PFBC stocked Kaercher Ck Dam to reach the Schuylkill in the area that you describe.

Likewise, mid to late simmer reports of RT from SMB anglers in the Schuylkill at and just below Reading are somewhat common. There you have the localized cooling influences of Wyomissing and Angelica Cks as well as possibly some springs in the river channel associated with the limestone geology. Those fish probably come from the Tully DH area and other stocked section. Upstream from there by about 7 mi or so is a spring near Cross Keys that also attracts RT to the river’s edge where there is a crack in the riparian limestone formation.

Finally, in the past 5 yrs or so, adult RT have become somewhat common in reports from Blue Marsh Lk as well as an occasional one seen in trap nets set for muskellunge. These fish have silvery coloration like lake fish and perfect or near perfect fins. This is suggestive of some holdover in Blue Marsh with fish originating from its numerous stocked tribs. The problem in interpreting what is occurring there , however, is that Blue Marsh has been around since 1979, stocking has diminished in numbers since that time, but this phenomenon is fairly recent. Yes, trout were seen in the past in the lake, but based on color, timing, and fin wear they were always recently stocked fish except for the occasional wild tiger trout fingerling from Northkill Ck, a Blue Marsh trib.

As someone stated above, RT could also be coming down the Schuylkill from stocked trout streams in the Schuylkill Co portion of the basin. We used to capture adults just below Port Clinton and above New Kernsvill Dm in the Schuykill before spring stockings occurred. These were most likely holdovers that had dropped downstream from a previous spring’s fishing rodeo in Port Clinton.

Mill Creek in Tilden Township dumps into the Schuylkill between Hamburg & Shooey and is Stocked Trout Water if you were actually below Hamburg proper, or just below I-78.

Oops, I missed Mike's post.

From a combination of reading and experience, trout will search for cooler water both to sustain a body temperature that is conducive to life and also because it has a higher level of dissolved oxygen. If they cannot find the comfortable temperature, they will opt for dissolved oxygen to stay alive. This is why when you catch trout in distressed temperature situations, it will be in or below riffles.

Interesting info on the topic. Closest scenario may have been kearcher or Hamburg gun club lake outlets. What gets me is they were all within 50y yards and how willingly they bit. They were healthy body types. Should have took a pick to look at fins but I released them from barbless trebles in the water due to my suprise. Real question is where are the smalllies? Would trout push them out of feeding lanes? This was my go to spot few years back.

I didn't realize you were fishing the Schuylkill River. Over the years I caught trout there in the heat of summer. About 25 years ago I caught a rainbow about a mile above Cross Keys. Don't know where it came from.

I read an article somewhere a while back about a study on trout in thermally unsuitable habitat. The study found that the trout would leave cold water refuge for periods to hunt for food, and then return to the refuge. I believe the study was on brook trout, but it's probably not a stretch for other species to behave the same way. I've run into the same thing fishing for smb in mid/upper 70's water, but they were wild browns, not rainbows.

silverfox wrote:
The study found that the trout would leave cold water refuge for periods to hunt for food, and then return to the refuge.

I think this is fairly common on marginal water, and even some that are honestly less than marginal...I've observed this behavior on streams like Pine Creek while Bass fishing before. Trout glued on spring seeps and the trickles coming out of trib mouths during the day, but in the evening they'd disperse and feed, with many rising. (We wouldn't fish for them of course.) This was with daytime water temps close to 80F. My guess is main channel water temp was bottoming out at roughly 70 first thing in the morning during this spell. When Bass fishing I'm not typically up and on the water first thing in the morning, so I couldn't confirm whether they were still dispersed and feeding in the morning (my guess is they were), but by mid-day they were back on the thermal refuge.

Back