Surprise Trout in Laurel Run (Perry County)

Alnitak

Alnitak

Yesterday my brother-in-law and I took a nostalgia trip to Laurel Run in Perry County. There's two--I'm referring to the one in Tuscarora State Forest, near Landisburg. We used to fish for brook trout there back in the early 1990's. I moved away from the area for grad school, then life happened, and its been 21 years since either of us were last there. My brother-in-law had heard that the trout were practically wiped out by acid rain. I wanted to go back and see what was going on, as the stream is still listed by PFBC as having wild brook trout reproduction.

I know that the stream was stocked until sometime in the late 1980's, but that stocking had ceased for a variety of reasons, including acid deposition via acid rain. Laurel Run is a beautiful wild freestone stream, but it has very limited buffering capacity so it was highly susceptible to acid rain.

We fished about 0.75 of stream upstream from where Elk Hill Road crosses the stream in Tuscarora State Forest. In the years we fished the stream, we never caught anything but brook trout. Consequently, I was surprised when the first fish I caught was a small 6" wild brown trout. After that we proceeded to catch mostly brook trout and chubs. Between the two of us, we landed about a dozen brook trout in five hours of fishing--not a lot, but not bad given that the water was a bit high and running fast. There were mayfly, caddisfly and stonefly larvae in the stream and we saw a few mayflies and caddis flies hatching. The brook trout all looked healthy and most ranged from 6-9" in length. My brother-in-law hooked into one that was a bit larger, but wasn't able to bring it to the net. As the evening ended I caught another little wild brown trout, not quite 5" long.

I was fascinated by this for a couple of reasons. First, brown trout are less tolerant of lower pH values than brookies. Second, seeing any brown trout here at all was a surprise. They must be coming from Shermans Creek, although its not listed as having a wild brown trout population. I spent several hours last night and this morning doing some research on both Laurel Run and acid rain deposition more broadly, and found some interesting tidbits.

It appears that Laurel Run had some limestone put in one of the branches upstream from where we fished about 10-15 years ago. However, even with that addition, a research project conducted by a student at Bucknell in 2004 found that the pH outside of that stretch was too low, and the dissolved Aluminum levels too high to support brook trout. While some trout no doubt persisted, clearly it was tough going for them. Finding acid rain data was not easy, but I finally managed to track down information from the EPA from some of PA's monitoring sites, and lo and behold, the environmental regulations are working. The average pH at the Perry County site was last updated two years ago, but at that time the average pH was 5, up considerably from the average of 4.4 in 2004. At a pH of 5 brook trout and brown trout can survive. The Millersville site shows a trend to where pH is now averaging nearly 5.6; if Perry County has similarly continued to increase I can see why the browns can now breed there.

Anyway...we often chat here about the return of wild trout to many PA streams, and I see temperature and runoff cited as key reasons--but we should add a reduction in acid deposition as another factor, particularly for freestoners. This is all great proof that sensible environmental regulations have broad positive impact.

Jeff

Attachments

• PAFF-02899.jpg
    PAFF-02899.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 36
  • PAFF-02894.jpg
    PAFF-02894.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 20
  • PAFF-02902.jpg
    PAFF-02902.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 21
I was there a few years ago and accidentally wondered onto a posted stretch. They had a bunch of 17-20+browns on their property.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I was there a few years ago and accidentally wondered onto a posted stretch. They had a bunch of 17-20+browns on their property.

Interesting. I guess they must have privately stocked it? While I love catching a nice wild brown, I'd prefer not to catch them in what should be brookie water.

Jeff

Yes, there is private stocking going on. Don't know the full details, but it is happening.

I caught my first trout on Laurel. I haven't fished it in 6 or 7 years, but I remember catching some browns. A friend of mine has been up this year and caught browns too.

I spoke with a forest ranger one time who asked me how the fishing was. He told me they had put a lot of limestone back on Cowpens, which is on the South Branch. Last time I looked at the South Branch the stream had a milky color from the dissolved metals precipitating out because of the higher pH. I have no idea when this was but it was at least 6 or 7 years ago, perhaps longer.

great piece. thank you for writing that.

A few more tid bits about Laurel Run, acid rain and trout. I worked as a forester on the Tuscarora SF during the mid 80's and early 90's, then again in the 2000's. Sometime around 1990 I was walking along the stream and came across dead stocked trout. Our office contacted the PA Fish and Boat to notify them of the situation. Apparantly the trout could not survive in the stream due to acid rain and no buffering agents. At that time the rainfall coming in from points to the west had a ph of 3.5, pretty much battery acid. Trout stocking was adjusted for a year or two to stocking the day before opening day and that was it. the trout never lived until the following Monday. Stocking was suspended after that. The Bureau of Foresty took it upon themselves to do a what they could do to try and minimize the situation. The stream is a beautiful free stone stream with miles and miles of stream in the public state forest. The Bureau forestry staff changed the road surface material on Laurel Run Road to Limestone instead of shale and got approval to dump limestone crusher run in the south branch at the Cowpens Road bridge. The pile of limestone is still there and occasionaly one the staff throws a few shovel loads of stone into the stream. The District Forester, Jim Foose, deserves the bulk of the credit for these efforts that continue today. And what do you know, it had an affect raising the ph significantly. Today if you go over to the bridge over the north branch you can see what the limestone has done to the stream vegetation. There are two stream branches that come together just above the bridge. The right branch has limestone entering the stream up at the next new bridge. The stream to the left does not. The vegetation is completely different - a direct result of the limestone rock rip rap and road surface material. It is astonishing. Laurel Run has wild trout in it and will not be put back on the stocking schedule now or anytime soon. Thanks to people like Jim Foose, a forester and long time fly fisherman for having the courage to think out of the box.

farther down stream along SR233 there is a private club that used to stock 1000 fish every spring so that is probably where the browns came from as well as Sherman's. The club stopped that practice over 10 yrs ago. Hope that sheds some light on a beautiful stream in Perry County.

I fished it this past Winter. Didn’t catch many (what I did were small wild Browns), but it was a fun day fishing in a pretty wilderness with a light snow falling. Had some homemade ham and bean soup along as I recall. Almost makes me ready for Winter. Almost.

FWIW I was several miles upstream of you (in the vicinity of the South Branch confluence) and was still catching Browns.

As far as Shermans, I have a strong suspicion there are migratory Browns in there, and likely even some that are year round residents. I plan to “research” this more. Regardless, there are wild Browns in numerous places in the Shermans watershed that could have used Shermans as a conduit to repopulate Laurel.

Definitely browns all through the Sherman’s watershed. Dam removal would help out the migration greatly.

I believe that there is a few miles of Sherman's that is listed as class A. Maybe out by New Germantown / confluence with Big Spring. Not exactly sure where that is in respect to where you were fishing.

Note: This is an old thread form six years ago.

Have fished upper LR for many years and I've caught wild BTs from time to time.

Dave_W wrote:
Note: This is an old thread form six years ago.

Hook, line, and sinker.

Err, I mean...nymph, leader, and shot.

Open forum. Anyone interested in LR research for noble purposes please PM me.

The Sherman's Creek Class A water begins at the State Forest Boundary west of New Germantown, upstream to Big Spring State Park and upstream to the Hemlocks Natural Area/Patterson Run.

Back