Supporting The Struble Trail - PA Fly fisherman!!!

F

flyfishermanpa

Sign The Petition!!!

http://www.friendsofthestrubletrail.org/Sign_Our_Petition.html

Supporting The Struble Trail
By Christine Brandt
DOWNINGTOWN – A Kerr Park rally for the Struble Trail drew several hundred people upset with a blockade at the part’s northern section.

The northern portion of the trail has been closed for any recreational pursuits after the purchase of the 44-acre Shryock Papermill property by John and Linda Shelton in 2005. While no definitive plans have been laid, a number hypothetical fates for the property have been discussed such as turning the property into a pub, a hotel, a restaurant or possibly senior-housing.

The idea of any development of this property seems a costly prospect to a number of the reported 250,000 trail visitors who look to the trail for their outdoor endeavors.

Sharon O’Shaughnessy, who organized ‘Friends of the Struble Trail’ in early August after learning of potential development plans for the former Shryock property. She wanted to gauge how important the trail was to Chester County residents. In two days she had 400 petitions signed.

Advertisement
“I started out thinking it was the trail that was in danger,” said O’Shaughnessey. “But I realized there is much more at stake, such as public safety, habitat destruction, threats to water quality, in addition to any recreational losses,” said O’Shaughnessey.

O”Shaugnessey is no longer alone in this undertaking. Now with nearly 1,500 petition signatures, O’Shaugnessey is urging local government, municipal, county state and federal officials along with a cadre of private groups to become involved with a public acquisition of the property.

Speaking to the crowd Saturday, Curt Schroeder, R-155th, Schroeder deemed the property “a vital course of greenway.”

“This property serves as a development buffer to Marsh Creek, it allows for access to the trail, it allows for expansion of the trail and would restore dam access which has become a hindrance to the park.”

Republican County Commissioners’ Chairwoman Carol Aichele, who is seeking reelection in November, said the county supported the trail.

“We feel this is important because our quality of life in undeniably linked to fighting suburban sprawl by protecting our land and expanding our trail system,” Aichele said.

Tricia Butler of Thorndale, just finishing her walk with her two young children, utilizes the trail sometimes twice a day.

“I come down in the morning to jog and often come back at night with my husband and kids to walk. It’s upsetting if they can’t work it out. You would think everyone could win,” said Butler .

Jordyn Thompson of Exton expressed an understanding of potential development.

“If the Shelton’s were really smart, they would build their houses and promote them as having access to the trail as a selling point versus cutting it off completely,” said Thompson.

Thompson added, “I’d sooner buy a house that had access to a trail than one I had to drive too.”

Betsy Straub of Glenmoore is currently using the trail as a means of training for the upcoming Susan G. Komen 3-day Breast Cancer walk which is a 60-mile walk.

“You see so many young families walking together on the trail, a restaurant or a bar isn’t going to fly here.” said Straub.

Cheryl Sauder of Glenmoore, who was with Straub Saturday, referenced an almost antagonistic environment of the Northern Trailhead which has been groomed so as to keep trail traffic out.

“As a walker, it’s ridiculous. They’ve downed trees, put up chain link fencing. Clearly you’re not welcome,” said Sauder.

While many utilize the trail for exercise, a number of individuals utilize the trail as access to the Brandywine River for fishing.

John Johnson, representing the West Chester Fish, Game and Wildlife Association emphasized the importance of the trail to local fishermen.

“We stock these streams out of concern for the young people today who think fish come from a package and for the recreation of the public.”

“To have meaningful fishing, we need meaningful access,” said Johnson.

Stocking of the Northern Trailhead did not occur this year due to the blocked access much to the chagrin of Greg Morris of Downingtown and his son Gregory Jr.

“It used to be a great place to fish with my son, quiet and secluded with some good pools. It’s just not the same anymore.”

Tihis is a follow up to the "Private Property Right of Way on the Brandywine" post on 8/6/2007. Please sign the petition. It directly effects Fly fishing. We need your support!

Signed

Been there signed that but wheres my T-Shirt ??????? :-D

Back