Support pafc and pagc.

M

maxima12

2 great partners in life. Game, Fish Commission! You know, tied up, rock between a wall, political correct, political driven, beat up, sworn at, kicked, blocked, misused, and neglected.

Time we, as sportsmen, wipe away that tarnish and shine these fine folks up again. Yes and keep them polished! Great people in a not so great world! I like them and i am so tired of the bad vibes from bad people.

They try and then some say, no good. Well the people that say no good, i am sure they lead a no good life! Support them. Yes a mistake may happen, "did you ever make one". I made a mistake once but then it was found to be correct!

You know, we sportsman could do something big. I guess well over a million sportsman in Pa. We could put 1 dollar in an envelope and send it to them! 1 dollar, i found more than that under my couch cushion.

Maybe a King of sportsman spirit can start this movement! Or a Queen or a child or just a good person. It is not that hard to be thankful!

Maxima12

I’m not about to help them fix their pension liability. That’s what our legislators are for.

Sticky subject. Good and bad from both sides. Staying out of this one.

I applaud how the PFBC handled the COVID 19 crisis during the stocking. However I rarely ever agree with what they are doing. The game commission I tend to agree with even less. First of all they lied to us about their financial situations. They also do not manage most things for the good of the environment but more so for whats good for their pockets (especially the PA Game Commission).

I think it's important to give feedback, good or bad. Cowtowing doesn't help anyone. I fault the PA F&BC for some things and applaud them for others. I'm not going to stay silent on the things I think they could improve on, and I don't hold back adoration where it's due either.

I "support" them by buying a license and almost every single add-on voluntary permit you can buy. So I'm helping fund them so they can carry out their mission, but I'm also going to speak my mind on things I don't agree with. That's healthy discourse, not bashing, kicking or "tying them up".

silverfox wrote:
I think it's important to give feedback, good or bad. Cowtowing doesn't help anyone. I fault the PA F&BC for some things and applaud them for others. I'm not going to stay silent on the things I think they could improve on, and I don't hold back adoration where it's due either.

I "support" them by buying a license and almost every single add-on voluntary permit you can buy. So I'm helping fund them so they can carry out their mission, but I'm also going to speak my mind on things I don't agree with. That's healthy discourse, not bashing, kicking or "tying them up".

I take the same approach as silverfox.

For example, I've sent letters to the PFBC expressing my opinion that hatchery trout that are currently being stocked on small streams with brook trout populations be shifted over to waters that don't have wild trout, i.e. their trout fishing is dependent on stocked trout.

Some people think of that as "bashing the PFBC." It's not. Not even a little bit.

What many people don't realize is that many in the PFBC, particularly the biologists, agree with that type of fisheries management and are happy for public support for it.

Shout from the mountain tops, whisper in the hollows. Big city bustle in the wilderness of PA while people in small town USA eat pancakes.

It doesn't make sense to this old timer.
When will they be praising the deserving? Heat rages, trout are boiling yet the selfish pursue them selfishly while selfishly being selfish. Children are our future and the future so make sure they don't have I'll fitting shoes.

The founders dreamed a dream that came to be. Teach a woman fly-fishing, they make the best pancakes and tie better knots.

Horseshoes, hand grenades but lawn darts are still the best I love him.

Maxima, what specifically do you mean by the support the PFBC? We all buy a license and trout stamp.

What do you do beyond that to "support the PFBC?"

I think a distinction should be made when referring the the PAFBC. Between commission itself and the officers in the field working with the public. MOST of the officers I have encountered or worked with deserve the support of fishermen. Just as police and firefighters and the like. I don't always agree with the decisions of the Commissioners (politicians), themselves, however. It is not an enviable job I would add.

I strongly support the PFBC, both its policy makers and its Waterways Conservation Officers. i think the PFBC tries to do the right things for fish, fisheries, and fishermen. Though I do not always agree with PFBC decisions, I think this commission tries really hard to do the right things.

i do not think the PGC even tries remotely to do the right things. I think this commission has abandoned sportsmen and, instead, caters to game hogs. The game commission's deer management policy has made Pennsylvania a privatae-land deer hunting state in many places, including where I live. The deer have been decimated on public land. When the private landowners witnessed the slaughter of deer during the first couple years of the plan, most posted their land to protect the deer. The only good deer hunting around here (southern Blair Co.) exists on private, posted properties. Only a few deer, mainly does and fawns, are tagged on local game lands. This is even worse on the public lands of n/c PA, where families have abandoned long-held camps because there are nearly no deer left to hunt there. Thank goodness that PFBC biologists do not manage game fish the way the game commission mismanages its public-land deer herd.

Also, at a time when the wild turkey population is declining in the state, the game commission continues to allow the sale of a $20.00 stamp to unnecessarily tag a second spring gobbler. If the PGC did not have a slush fund of $73 million and another $7 million that its new CFO didn't even know about, I guess you could say that stamp was about money -- but the commission didn't need the money, so it is apparent that it is a tag to appease greedy game hogs when you know the turkey population is declining. And, then, we could talk about continued hunting for grouse, which are disappearing, and the pheasant tag.

Until about 2002, I had great respect for the PGC. The only respect I retain for anyone associated with that commission is the respect I hold for their Game Wardens, who try to do a good job. Otherwise, the PGC is kind of a rogue agency that ignores its stakeholders, PA's hunters. No wonder the numbers of hunters have declined so precipitously during the past 20 years.

Sorry this rant is so long.

rrt wrote:
I strongly support the PFBC, both its policy makers and its Waterways Conservation Officers. i think the PFBC tries to do the right things for fish, fisheries, and fishermen. Though I do not always agree with PFBC decisions, I think this commission tries really hard to do the right things.

i do not think the PGC even tries remotely to do the right things. I think this commission has abandoned sportsmen and, instead, caters to game hogs. The game commission's deer management policy has made Pennsylvania a privatae-land deer hunting state in many places, including where I live. The deer have been decimated on public land. When the private landowners witnessed the slaughter of deer during the first couple years of the plan, most posted their land to protect the deer. The only good deer hunting around here (southern Blair Co.) exists on private, posted properties. Only a few deer, mainly does and fawns, are tagged on local game lands. This is even worse on the public lands of n/c PA, where families have abandoned long-held camps because there are nearly no deer left to hunt there. Thank goodness that PFBC biologists do not manage game fish the way the game commission mismanages its public-land deer herd.

Also, at a time when the wild turkey population is declining in the state, the game commission continues to allow the sale of a $20.00 stamp to unnecessarily tag a second spring gobbler. If the PGC did not have a slush fund of $73 million and another $7 million that its new CFO didn't even know about, I guess you could say that stamp was about money -- but the commission didn't need the money, so it is apparent that it is a tag to appease greedy game hogs when you know the turkey population is declining. And, then, we could talk about continued hunting for grouse, which are disappearing, and the pheasant tag.

Until about 2002, I had great respect for the PGC. The only respect I retain for anyone associated with that commission is the respect I hold for their Game Wardens, who try to do a good job. Otherwise, the PGC is kind of a rogue agency that ignores its stakeholders, PA's hunters. No wonder the numbers of hunters have declined so precipitously during the past 20 years.

Sorry this rant is so long.

I agree 100% on that. This is the first year in 29 years that I wont be buying a hunting license. The straw for me was simply realizing how much they pander to special interest groups rather than average Joe's like me. Sometimes to the detriment of average Joe's like me.

I think the big obstacles at PAFBC really stem from a small handful of influential people there and those who pressure them from the outside.

I don't know how many of you watched the quarterly meeting livestream yesterday, but they provided some slides that summarized public comments on the strategic plan. The #1 comment received was to stop stocking over Class A and B wild trout populations. I think it's absurdly clear that's the right thing to do, but there has been opposition from somewhere in PAFBC to date that prevents that common sense change from happening.

The slides' bullet points seemed to indicate maybe something will finally change with regard to stocking over Class A/B's. It was worded as; "Staff developing options for improved management of these waters". At the very least, there seems to be some forward thinking at PAFBC recently regarding wild trout.

rrt: your views on the Game Commission are spot on to how I feel also!

Like so many things that Gov’t is involved with, such as With tax returns, the rules for outdoor sports are becoming way too nuanced. It’s uncomfortable; hard to tell if you’re legal or pushing the limit somewhere. I find I’m always looking over my shoulder to see if I’m okay or if there is a public official bearing down on me, this wether I’m driving, hunting, fishing or corresponding (taxes) with them.

Back