Superior Floating Fly Line?

jifigz

jifigz

Is there a superior floating fly line? All other attributes aside, do you think that there is a fly line on the market that simply floats better than the others?

yes, especially over time. keep them clean and they will float well enough. the fancy textured lines seem to ride high.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/how-to-get-new-fly-line-for-5-or-pretty-close/

Lol...I know that keeping a line clean will increase its buoyancy and increase flotation. I did enjoy the article though, but my question is do you think that there is a fly line that floats the best. Disregard line care and other factors that arise during the life of the fly line. Right out of the gates, do you feel a line has superior float-ability. If so, what product is it?

SA Sharkskin.

The line taper that I think casts best is Rio Gold. With that said (and I hate to admit it), Sharkskin is superior in flotation to anything I've used. If you can get past the sound and it chewing up your fingers, it does float like a cork. Line mending is fantastic, very low memory so it feeds out the guides like a champ. I'm not a huge fan of the sound or having bloody fingers at the end of the day but it's performance was good enough for me to load up with a new spool for the upcoming season.

I'm not familiar with their textured mastery series so I can't tell you if it performs quite the same. I'd imagine it's close and a few buck cheaper.

I've never fished Sharkskin, but maybe I'll have to give it a try. The only SA line I've ever used is good old cheap Air-Cel. A line with that much texture sounds strange to handle.

I don't have an answer but your question is interesting.

Here's a survey that says Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Trout Fly Line is the best dry fly line and RIO Gold is the best floating line.

In the Loop Fly Line Reviews

Even when cleaned and 'dressed', the Gold doesn't go out the guides like Sharkskin. It almost seems stick in comparison. I do love the way Gold casts but if you're going to throw a cast and then shake a bunch of line out the rod tip, Sharkskin does it better. Mending way out, again a winner for Sharkskin. Pleasure to cast and probably a little better at distance, Gold. Both are pretty durable.

If you get over my way jifigz, you can compare them side by side. I have reels loaded with both lines.

Unquestionably, the new Airflo Super-Dri lines float higher than any other line I've fished.

I'm a big fan of, and use Sharkskin on a regular basis (because it's such a great line to cast), but it does not float well.

I have two sharkskins one fished one day the other nib I'd gladly swap.

Chewed up beyond belief is more like it for me! I spend to many hours fishing to run these lines.

I've had great luck with sa mastery lines. I recently bought two new rios, they're both boxed and ready to go back to rio. One was sinking on day one. The 2nd didn't last past day 2 before they needed flotant! I should have known better.

It will be interesting to see what Orvis really does with sa. I've already found lines I like and use discontinued so the advertisement about no changes is crapola!

AkDan76 wrote:
I have two sharkskins one fished one day the other nib I'd gladly swap.

Chewed up beyond belief is more like it for me! I spend to many hours fishing to run these lines.

I've had great luck with sa mastery lines. I recently bought two new rios, they're both boxed and ready to go back to rio. One was sinking on day one. The 2nd didn't last past day 2 before they needed flotant! I should have known better.

It will be interesting to see what Orvis really does with sa. I've already found lines I like and use discontinued so the advertisement about no changes is crapola!

I was unaware that Orvis acquired SA.....not that I really care, but that is news to me.

SA already made the lines for Orvis, orvis just put their own finish on it. So I would have to say if anything changes it would be Orvis branded lines should show a large improvement as not only will they share SA tapers, but maybe the coating as well.

I picked up some sharkskin lines for 30 dollars on closeout. I just wrap a small piece of duct tape on my stripping finger to avoid the burn. They really do cast fantastic and the thing I like about them the most is how well you can mend them, it really is different then any other line that I have used.

the one thing I noticed was the absorbant amount of SA lines missing from the line up. I don't think that was SA's doing...though the write up says Sa is still running its side of the house.

Its a real shame they didn't keep Ross, the Gunnison was a fine reel!

The best fly line in the world is the one you have on your reel while fishing -

Which for me is usually a cheaper line that still casts great and catches fish.

JG63 wrote:
The best fly line in the world is the one you have on your reel while fishing -

Back