Sunglasses

fritz

fritz

Finally broke down and got prescription sunglasses after many years of going thru flip ups, clipons and several brands of fit overs. Last fit overs I’ve been wearing were cocoons. And they were ok but sometimes the extra weight would make everything slide down my nose. I’ve been eying up Costas at my eye doctor’s for years. Called Costa last month to get their recommendation for how I mostly fish. They recommended the copper silver mirror lens. Fished with them a couple days ago. Pretty nice really and a relief to ditch the fitovers. However, I have to now remember to carry my regular script glasses along. I had to leave a bit early the other evening before it got dark. Can’t see squat without my scripts and I didn’t figure walking out in the dark in sunglasses would go over well.

Yeah - I agree. Prescription sunglasses are worth getting.
But after the sun goes down - or on cloudy days - they still just don't cut it for me
I carry which ever pair I'm not wearing in a hard sided glass case for protection.
Hate those days when the sun keeps going in and out - and I'm constantly changing back and forth.

I considered getting transition lenses.
But I don't believe they come polarized. Or if they do, they're outrageously expensive

I HAVE PROGRESSIVES SO I JUST CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER 400 BUCKS FOR SCRIPT SUNGLASSES. WALLY WORLD HAS CLIP ON POLARIZED LENSES THAT SLIDE OVER MY GLASSES. THEY'RE 10 BUCKS AND COME IN SEVERAL SHAPES AND SIZES. I HAVE A FEW OF THEM SPREAD ROUND IN DIFFERENT PLACES LIKE THE CAR AND MY FISH PACK AND IN THE GARAGE.

tomgamber wrote:
I HAVE PROGRESSIVES SO I JUST CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER 400 BUCKS FOR SCRIPT SUNGLASSES. WALLY WORLD HAS CLIP ON POLARIZED LENSES THAT SLIDE OVER MY GLASSES. THEY'RE 10 BUCKS AND COME IN SEVERAL SHAPES AND SIZES. I HAVE A FEW OF THEM SPREAD ROUND IN DIFFERENT PLACES LIKE THE CAR AND MY FISH PACK AND IN THE GARAGE.

^ same here.

I just ordered another pair of regular glasses with progressive lenses and also got a price for a pair of polarized glasses using the same prescription. The estimate was over $500! :-o

I use magnetic clip-ons attached to my regular glasses, which are easy to take on or off and store, also sometimes I use the fitover type.

The look registers high on the nerd and geek meter, but who cares.....they work.

I say it every time these conversations pop up: If you wear a ballcap when fishing and need glasses, you really owe it to yourself to check out Brimz:

http://www.clip-n-flip.com/index.php/what-are-brimz

I have been using them for years and couldn't be happier.

Price is one of the reasons, I haven't gone to prescription glasses. My optometrist keeps trying to talk me into but I'll keep using the Cocoons. I haven't had too many issues with them sliding down though I do sometimes flip them up when I'm tying on small flies. One thing I've done is black out the clear inserts on the sides. I've found it easier to see fish without light coming in from the sides.

Got a pair of prescription Maui Jim with green lenses last year. They cost me a bloody fortune but I have Superman X-ray vision with them. Love em.

I, too, have Maui Jim with the HT lens. More light transmission means they are not limited to sunny weather - usable even on cloudy days or deep in the woods. I have heard that the Maui HT lens has the greatest amount of light transmission available in a polarized lens with a prescription. Smith Optics makes a polarized lens that has much greater light transmission, but this lens is not currently available in a prescription lens.

Back