sulphurs

L

LouM

Saw my first sulphur last evening, I believe it was a dorhtea ,it was a size 14 or possibly a 12. And yes it was a sulphur,posityive ID.

LouM,

Here is the way I remember them..

#12 Rotunda (Rotund = large)
#14 Invaria (In-between)
#16-#18 Dorthea (Dorothy=girl=dainty=small)

Also, the sulfur hatch usually starts with the Rotundas, then the Invarias and finishes with the Dortheas...at the end of the month and into June.

HTH

Maurice

You got it Maurice, seems like a strange Spring, Spring Creek fishing ants before Sulphurs?? That is what we love about fly fishing, always different, nothing cast in stone.

Maurice wrote:
LouM,

Here is the way I remember them..

#12 Rotunda (Rotund = large)
#14 Invaria (In-between)
#16-#18 Dorthea (Dorothy=girl=dainty=small)

Also, the sulfur hatch usually starts with the Rotundas, then the Invarias and finishes with the Dortheas...at the end of the month and into June.

HTH

Maurice

The way I think of it is, in order of appearance:

#14 sulphur (big, early sulphurs)
#16 sulphur ("regular" sulphurs)
#18 sulphur (dorotheas)

An easy way to remember the proper fly to use during these various hatches is this:

During the Rotunda hatch, use a #14 green weeny;

During the Invaria hatch, use a #14 green weeny;

During the Dorothea hatch, use a #14 green weeny.

:cool: :cool: :-D :cool: :cool:

Thanks JackM, That explains why I never caught anything during the hatch!

JH

Anybody who could fish a green weenie during a sulphur hatch must be just looking for a trout dinner. ;-)

It definitely pays to know which species is emerging. As someone else mentioned a few weeks back, the sulfur patterns are best when reserved for the Green Drake emergence.

Dorethea is the smallest of the "Sulphurs," Invaria and Rontunda are now lumped together as 1 species and are from 8.5 to 10.5 mm. Dorethea is about 7.5 mm. It's all very esoteric to me as long as you have the size and color found on your local streams you'll catch plenty of fish. Also have a supply of soft hackle imitations as the "Sulphurs" drift in the film for long distances before emerging.

Back