Sulphur

dc410

dc410

I'm pretty sure this is a sulphur. Came off of Dongegal Springs Creek. I saw duns coming off (traditional sulphur color) and a fair amount of egg bearing spinners (darker in color with bright orangish-yellow egg sacks attached) hovering over the riffle sections. The one in the picture has more the color of a spinner but the wings are not clear like the spinners were. Maybe it is just kind of in between stages. Just looking to try to learn something about these critters and any info would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Donegal sulphur.jpg
    Donegal sulphur.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 8
Count the tails, that will lead you to the answer. From what I'm seeing in the photo - two.

Jeff

There is actually three tails on it. On the photo the top and middle tails are full length and very easy to see, but the bottom one was broken off and didn't extend past my finger. It is just barely visible in the photo.

It's very difficult to tell from the picture. I'm forced to guess at my usual indicators. My guesses may be wrong. So I'll say ahead of time my confidence is low on this one.

I too see only 2 tails. And I see no large hind wing, it could be absent or small. The wing is not mottled. I'd guess it's in the baetis genus, honestly.

What size was it? 18ish? or 14-16ish?

pcray,

I am absolutely certain that this fly had 3 tails (I specifically checked for that) even though only two are visible in the photo. The body was between 3/8" - 1/2" long, I would say size 14.

I'm not seeing a third tail, though it is quite common for tails to break off. If you say it had three tails then it's possibly a Sulphur, but it doesn't llok right for a Sulphur to me, but they vary considerably from one stream to another.

Back