Sulphur nymph

jkilroy

jkilroy

I want to tie up some sulphur nymphs for fishing state college this year. Wondering if I should tie them unweighted or with tungsten beads. Not sure if they reside in deep pockets or shallow riffles. Was going to tie some with 12 2xl and 14 2xl hooks. I use alot of tungsten with my nymphs and I also use long leader methods.

Thanks

Generally, sulphur nymphs reside in slower water. At least that is there design and what the books say. However, if you would have a tough time finding a rock in Spring, Fishing and Penns creek that does not have a sulphur nymph on it.

As far as weight goes, it is your preference. I prefer no beads on my imitative nymphs, though, I am not a big bead head guy in general. I weight my nymphs with lead wire strapped to the sides or wrapped around the shank. I also tie some unweighted.

See flyfisher's paradise website or shop for the best sulphur nymph pattern during the hatch
sz 12 is much too large

Jkilroy,

I would tie both. If I was you I would use the tungsten nymph as an anchor fly and the unweighted nymph as a dropper, that way you are covering two different levels, once you get them dialed in then you can switch your setup based off of where the fish are feeding.

A phesant tail on a size 16 nymph hook would be just about right in weighted and unweighted versions.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
See flyfisher's paradise website or shop for the best sulphur nymph pattern during the hatch
sz 12 is much too large

A size 12 sulphur nymph is definitely not too large.

The early sulphur duns are a size 14, and sometimes close to a size 12. One can also make a good argument that nymphs are often best immitated by using one size larger than the duns.

If you look in FFP's archive of fly patterns, the dark sulphur nymph is what they recommend for the early sulphurs. They specify sz 12-16, and that's on a Tiemco 5262, which is a 2XL nymph hook.

FFP's pattern is good, but this one is better. Loren made some good improvements to the FFP pattern.

Would a 3.5 tungsten bead be too heavy? Guess I'll tie some of each. That's a good call use the weighted one as the anchor and the unweighted one as the dropper.

HA, That is a very nice sulpher nymph you referred to. I book marked that and will whip up a few.
Amazing what can be learned on this site.

Dave, (aka TP), hopefully we'll get to use them this year on our May sojourn. BTW, I'm gonna like calling you TP! LMAO

I've been very successful with a #14 to #16 BHPT during the sulphur hatches on the Saucon, LL, and elsewhere. I've also done well from time to time on a #18 BHPT when a 14 or 16 was not doing the trick. I do like Fly Guy's pattern tho and will tie some to use during this year's hatches.

I have long had success fishing size 16 unweighted nymphs on the surface. Eeach year on Cumberland Valley limestones, I run into a number of trout that sit back and watch sulphur duns float by only to make a splashing strike a something unseen on or near the surface. Suspect they are targeting emergers or cripples, but do not know for suire. What I do know is that greased nymph often does the trick.
I also routinely fish them on top as the trailing fly in a tandem rig.

is this the same guy that posted he caught 8 fish in gin clear water on PT nymphs at the LL in low clear water on 7x ? hhhmmmmm :-? :-? :-?

HA,
Excellent tutorial - thanks!

Glad you liked it, Dave.

I really like Loren's patterns. Here's my spin of that "modified" FFP pattern...

Attachments

• tnsn.jpg
    tnsn.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14
  • sulphurnymph1.jpg
    sulphurnymph1.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 14
Ed , thanks for posting that link for the nymph. I bookmarked it too.

really nice fly HA.

Ed, many thanks. I also found the link for the light quill nymph. I have bookmarked them both.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/tutorials/nymphs/lws-light-quill-sulphur

Bookmarked both. Thanks!

my guess is that the sz 12 2xl works because it imitates the isonychia nymphs that are just starting to emerge from the substrate mid sulphur season

the fly pictured is my goto for the spring. it has taken many "j" browns for me.

Back