Sulphur Hatch

trubski

trubski

I just came back from the heaviest hatch I've seen in years. For the last several years I've been really busy around this time and I have completely missed the sulphurs during a few of those but man, this made up for it. Everything was going on - a heavy mating flight, egg-layers over all the riffles, both sulphur and gray fox duns coming off, not to mention crane flies and one or two others I couldn't be sure of.

One of those evenings where it can take most of your time to figure just what the hell they're on (mostly gray foxes), in what stage (emergers) and then to realize you don't have them - doh!

I got a couple of nice little (9") wild browns on spent sulphur spinners (but no pictures, it was all happening too fast). The rest of the evening was educational (new water to me) but I had a great time. To tell the truth, I must have spent at least 10 minutes standing in a riffle just watching the flies - so heavy you had to be careful not to breathe them in. Absolutely beautiful ...

Back to the tying bench ...

Trubski,

Sounds like a fun evening even if you didn't slam the fish. Somtimes you get those seminal periods where you learn about how the fish interact with the flys.

Got into some sulphers and caddis last eve. Started out with caddis then over to sulphurs, comparaduns , emergers, nymphs and soft hackles. Caught about 15 all wild browns. Lost at least that many and don't know how many I missed. All from 3:30 till &:00. One of the best days I have had in years. Missed the hatch last year with a torn ACL." Where?" you ask, a SE PA limestoner, you pick which one.

Sigh.....

I got into them alright tonight. Caught a few small fish, but didn't have a dry big enough to properly imitate them. I was also seeing some gray foxes, and the trout were either keying on them, emergent sulphurs, or some spotty caddis.... I never got to find out.

That's right. I threw my first tantrum on the creek today. A fellow fly fisherman sent his two 13 or so year olds literally ON TOP of my spot. I was drifting flies by a boulder and they climbed up on top of it. They were even nice enough to confirm that there were indeed fish there for me too! how nice. I said something, and they just looked at me. I said something to the father and he just walked away. I proceeded to flip out on them and splash through the hole on the way out. I bet I looked like an idiot, but it had to be done.

I went upstream to another pool and got to watch kayakers try each other's new boats out by doing joyrides repeatedly through my spot.

Apparently it's idiot night at the manatawny.

Also, if you're the guy who did that to my spot, sorry I spazzed. Next time I'll leave quietly, you inconsiderate jerk.

I haven't seen a single sulphur yet this year, and the guys at the LL fly shop said they haven't started yet as of late last week.

Chaz wrote:
I haven't seen a single sulphur yet this year, and the guys at the LL fly shop said they haven't started yet as of late last week.

You need to get out more then-- and maybe find a new fly shop. :-D There were sulfurs galore on the Little J and Spruce Creek yesterday.

JackM wrote:
Chaz wrote:

You need to get out more then-- and maybe find a new fly shop. :-D There were sulfurs galore on the Little J and Spruce Creek yesterday.

Jacks, right...get out more Chaz, Sulfurs have been popping for at least 10 days here in the Muddy watershed, sometimes heavy too. Although Paul and I did not see a one at Conewago in Adams th eother dya. Saw quite a few cream cahills though. My light sulfur snowshoe comparadun took a few fish.

Last year I did well with Lime Trudes during the sulphur and little yellow sallie hatches. Don't ask me why.

I was hoping to get out and test the pattern again this year, but...

Chaz; The LLH does not have a good sulphur hatch as other area streams, probably due to all the flooding. But there are sections where they are coming off and I have been catching them on these sections of the LLH.

Back