Sulphur Dubbing

A

alatt

Is there a dubbing that I can purchase (not interested in blending) that is close in color to the sulphurs on Spring creek. I was using Super fine #129 and it worked well, but the color has changed to a more oranger tint. I also noticed some color change in other Super fine dubbings.

I used Fly-Rite extra fine dubbing in orange sulfur for 30 years before developing a custom blend.

I suggest calling Flyfishers Paradise, and asking them your question.

They know stuff about sulphurs and tying flies for that hatch.

Flyfisher's Paradise at one time sold a small 6 compartment dispenser labeled "Sulphur Selection" They may still do, so that may be worth checking in to.
For Sulphur Duns, I'v always gotten away with Superfine in Pale Yellow, Pale Orange and PMD. The PMD hue changes quite a bit with different lots, so you need to visually see it before purchasing.

Does Flyfisher's Paradise sell similar boxes for other hatches? I've never seen that before and it seems incredibly helpful haha.

dano wrote:
I'v always gotten away with Superfine in Pale Yellow, Pale Orange and PMD.

Yeah, and you can always mix those colors together if your really must match that natural exactly in order to sleep well at night.

I can't say that I've ever fished a sulphur hatch where I was convinced that color was a big deal. On the other hand the style of fly (comparadun, parachute, cripple, emerger, etc.) does seem to make a difference. So with that in mind I tie a few in a pale yellow color, and a few in a somewhat orange color and call it good. I usually stay away from the vivid oranges and yellows although those colors are certainly sometimes present on the naturals.

I have been tinkering with many many different colors to match the sulphurs on Spring and the surrounding areas for years and I finally went with Fly Rite.

I discovered it way after Just Jon apparently, but I love the #23 olive sulphur color blend. I think it matches perfectly.

#23 olive sulphur dubbing

It is a ploy blend too, so after catching a dozen or more fish at Spring in one night it does not affect the color at all. Some other natural dubbings can get dirty and change color.

Back