Suggestions for reel for a 4 wt Winston biiix

C

Clemdog

Looking for reel suggestions for a Winston B3x 4 wt. i have talked to a couple shops and suggestions so far are Hatch 3, Lamson lightspeed and Abel Creek. Gearing up for spring so looking to get some suggestions to narrow down my search. Thank you in advance

"There's mosquitoes on the river Fish are rising up like birds"

The reel is the least critical link in a light trout set-up so keep that in mind. Don't buy the cheapest , get one large enough to carry a #5 line and an extra spool for when you buy another rod.

Hatch all the way. Go smaller with the Hatch reel though. They balance very well and I fish them on all of my Winston B3X rods.

Ron

Thanks
When you say smaller is that meaning the Hatch 3 plus? It's not to heavy for that rod?

I vote for the hatch 4+. The weight between the 3+ and the 4+ is not much. I have a 4+ on my 9' 4wt and think it's the cat's meow.

I have a 9' 4wt Winston LTX and it's paired up with two Loop EvoTec G3 reels (one spooled with Rio Grand, the other with a short sink tip).

Fantastic, well-made reels.

I would go with the Hatch 3 plus and it balances just right with that rod. I use this reel on both my 4 & 5 wt B3X rods. It holds the Rio Gold line with with plenty of backing.

Ron

Back