Suggestions for a Small Stream Pack Rod

jeffroey

jeffroey

I'm on the hunt for a pack rod in the 7'6" to 7'9" and 4-6 WT range and looking for any leads you all may be able to offer.

Although just 3" more, 8' would be pushing it for me with respect to what I'm really looking for.

My preference would always be for glass but I don't think there's anything out there - at least at a reasonable price point - so I'm absolutely okay with carbon.

Price point in the $200's; total case length less than 20".

Any of you all using anything around that criteria that would give me a good lead to follow up on?

I did see Cabela's Stowaway 6 offering that fit the bill - a 7'6" 4 WT but can't seem to find one anywhere.

Fenwick offered a packable World Class in the 7' 3 WT range that's still available on the secondary market. Never fished one but everything I read indicates that the FWCs may be a little too fast/stiff for my taste.

I know Orvis has a Clearwater Traveler in the 8' 4 WT range but still, really want something sub-8'.

Where else should I be looking?

P.S. If you have one of those Stowaways (or an Albright N5 6) laying around collecting dust, let me know!

I just wrapped a nice 7'6" FIBERGLASS from Proof Fly-fishing and gifted it to a relative. It was a great experience and an easy project to do.

Wow Barron, hadn't thought about a build. Never did a build before but might look into that as an option. Would still need to find a blank the fits the bill . . .

Thx.

Its so easy. Go to ProofFlyfishing.com and pick from the many Matt sells. Then go to tutorials and see how easy it is. Lastly Matt answers his Phone and promptly returns emails. Try that with the Big Guys!
Below the yellow one is a re-wrapped 7'6" Wright McGill Medium/Medium 6wt which I wrapped with lighter guides.
The next three images are of the one I tied for my Son-In-Law. 7.5' 4wt in Salamander Orange with walnut reel seat sleeve. First guide is size 12 and the rest are 1.0 and it is loaded with 4DT. Very nice. ProofFlyfishing will help you succeed. I'll photograph my jig if you want. it is so helpful to have this jig to clean, repair, examine and more.
Lemme know if you want any more info.
jeffroey wrote:
Wow Barron, hadn't thought about a build. Never did a build before but might look into that as an option. Would still need to find a blank the fits the bill . . .

Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 7
The Jig shown here still needs a double washer on the thread spindles.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6
Lamiglas Honey 7'6" 4wt 6pc
If you can find one.

A guy on the fiberglass flyrodders has a black and extras for sale at a decent price right now.

Won't be 200 bucks but I have 3 5pc scott gs 4-6wt. They are all solid. I also have a 5 piece kenney 5 weight. I have a 5 piece 7 weight scott fiberglass rod too. All are good rods. I guess I haven't cast a 5 piece rod I didnt like.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Lamiglas Honey 7'6" 4wt 6pc
If you can find one.

A guy on the fiberglass flyrodders has a black and extras for sale at a decent price right now.

Having experience with both the Proof and Lamiglass blanks, the Proof blanks are superior. They are just much nicer casting rods and the fit and finish is better and at a better price.

The owner of Proof says they're made in the same molds as some of the more popular and well known brands which I forget the name of. I really like dealing with them.

Green Caddis Outfitters (GCO) has the Ruby River rod in 3wt, at 6'7". It's a beautiful red fiberglass with a forgiving and fun action. I've had mine for about four years, now, and it's great on small streams and on the small ponds with panfish around here in south central NC. Normally runs $150, but GCO has them on sale now for $90. There's also a 4 wt that comes in at 7', as I recall. As I said -- lotsa fun in a red stick!

Back