Success

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Below is an article written by Mary Kuss. Mary is one of the Southeastern PA greats for many years in teaching fly-fishing, guiding, as well as the fishing itself. I share her sentiments about our success and failures in the sport. I post this article because she expressed it better than I could ever. Plus I believe we all may need a lift during these trying times.

SUCCESS
By Mary S. Kuss

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of something that is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.” John Buchan (1875 – 1940)

The great paradox of fishing in general, and fly fishing in particular, is that many people who enjoy the sport become obsessed with rendering it predictable and controllable. In reality, of course, this is the very last thing any of us would ever want to do. If we were to succeed in this pursuit, the above mentioned charm would be completely eradicated. Success in fishing must be elusive, otherwise it is meaningless.

Suppose there was a magical fly that always worked. There would be no reason to use anything else. We would be wildly successful in catching fish every time we went out. How long would it take for the entire enterprise to become incredibly boring and completely lose its appeal?

A day that brings many fish, or a particularly large fish, or a particularly challenging fish, is a day that will be remembered and its story told and retold many times—a treasured memory. If those days were not relatively rare, they would lose their significance. Common things are not precious things.

Sharing our memories with our fishing buddies is a special pleasure. Everyone in a group of close fishing friends knows their friends’ stories as well as they know their own, having heard them many times. This in no way diminishes their pleasure in both telling and listening. To the contrary, these stories form a large part of the bond that exists between these friends.

The more time you spend fishing, the more likely you are to collect a wonderful memory. A day of great fishing is a gift, not something that you can obtain in any other way than by grace. The fish and the fishing do not perform on demand. Mother Nature, the Fishing Gods, Fate, or however you choose to describe the force that bestows these gifts, does so in a completely inscrutable way, without regard to our wishes, hopes or expectations.

Especially when we plan a Big Trip, we do our best to increase the odds of success. We do research to make an intelligent and informed choice of when and where to go. We hire a reputable guide. We make sure our equipment is in apple-pie-order. We brush up on our casting. Yet there are many things we can not control. Weather or water conditions can go against us without warning. An expected insect hatch can be early, late, or completely absent. The fish may simply not be cooperating, for reasons entirely their own. Or they may be quite active yet all our best efforts fall short of solving the problem of the day. No matter how far we travel, or how much money we spend doing it, poor fishing or getting outright skunked is always a possibility. At such times our disappointment is keen and it’s hard to be philosophical, no matter how well we understand that there are no guarantees in fishing.

I once had a fly fishing student who happened to be a psychologist. She was already a committed fly fisher when we met, and I thought she would be uniquely qualified to answer a question I’d always wondered about. “Claudia,” I asked, “What is it about fly fishing that is so addictive?”

She didn’t hesitate at all before replying, “Intermittent gratification.” The happiest and most satisfied fly fishers are those who take genuine pleasure in the act of fishing itself, regardless of the outcome. We don’t get the desired result every time, but we know that eventually we will. That’s what keeps us coming back again and again. The knowledge of the sweet reward that awaits us, and the pleasant anticipation of that reward, makes the pursuit itself very pleasurable. Anyone who can not embrace that approach is not well-suited to fly fishing. This is a sport for the process-oriented rather than the goal-oriented. There’s a fairly high degree of difficulty, especially for the novice, and you must accept that even when you do everything “right” it may still not translate into fish hooked or landed.

For those who enjoy fly fishing and stick with it, however, there is no more satisfying pastime. After over 50 years of fly fishing, I love and enjoy the sport as much as ever. It’s brought me countless delightful hours in beautiful places, treasured friendships old and new, and plenty of fun and adventure along the way. My fondest wish is that I’m granted many more years of good health in which to continue my fly fishing journey.

To Tom - thanks for posting this. MaryK is indeed a treasure, but I never knew that of her many talents that she could also write eloquently. This piece really captures our obsession.

It indeed is the fish I didn't catch that brings me back.

One thing I learned years ago, Kuss is usually right! She nailed this one.

I agree. Intermittent gratification seems to hit the nail on the head. As lestrout said, it is the trout I haven't caught that I remember most. Mary's essay is a nice one.

Very well Done..

It reminded me of an essay I once happened on by an outdoor writer with a strong and eloquent writing voice. Maybe a Nick Lyons or even an Ed Zern.

In the story, an ardent angler passes away and soon awakens in the next world beside a river where trout were rising as far as the eye could see. There is a guide there and he hands the sport a rod rigged and ready to cast and points him to the river. The guy wades in and on his very first cast, he covers and lands a 4 lb. brown. And on the next cast as well. And the one after that, too. On every cast all day long. After about the 20th fish, the guy begins to grumble. Come cast and consecutive fish #25, the guy has had enough and yells out, "Oh Hell!"

"Exactly", says the guide.

This always tickled me and I wish I could remember who wrote it.

Great writing. It really does describe the essence of fly fishing. Thanks for that, I sometimes take things for granted.

Thanks for sharing this, Tom. I found it to be very refreshing.

The story RLeep2 is referring to is by G.E.M. Skues. I think the title is "Mr. Theodore Castwell."

Charles K. Fox wrote an Americanized version of the story, which appeared in "This Wonderful World of Trout." Instead of Castwell being the fisherman in Hell, Fox put a character named L.C. Cribbs as the character doomed to catch identical trout for eternity.

I went to the creek for a little while this evening. When I came home, I wanted to make sure I told things correctly in Post 8. Skues' story was indeed titled "Mr. Theodore Castwell." It is included in the old fishing anthology, "Fisherman's Bounty," edited by Nick Lyons. I do not know of any newer anthologies that include the story.

Fox's version appeared as the last story in "The Wonderful World of Trout" and is entitled "Ad Infinitum."

I don't know if you can find these books anywhere online.

RLeep2 wrote:

It reminded me of an essay I once happened on by an outdoor writer with a strong and eloquent writing voice. Maybe a Nick Lyons or even an Ed Zern.

In the story, an ardent angler passes away and soon awakens in the next world beside a river where trout were rising as far as the eye could see. There is a guide there and he hands the sport a rod rigged and ready to cast and points him to the river. The guy wades in and on his very first cast, he covers and lands a 4 lb. brown. And on the next cast as well. And the one after that, too. On every cast all day long. After about the 20th fish, the guy begins to grumble. Come cast and consecutive fish #25, the guy has had enough and yells out, "Oh Hell!"

"Exactly", says the guide.

This always tickled me and I wish I could remember who wrote it.

I think you might be right about Ed Zern. I remember the punchline a bit differently. The angler says "I never thought fishing in heaven could be so boring", at which point the guide says "what makes think this is heaven?"

I was given a book of short fishing stories when I was 7 due to my fishing obsession. Copyright was 1959. This was one of them and the end of that story goes: "Then do you mean I have to go on catching these two-and-a- half pounders at this corner forever?"
The keeper nodded.
"Hell!" said Mr. Castwell.
"Yes," said his keeper.

I know that Lady she has taught me a thing or two about fly fishing

“Intermittent gratification”: also known in animal/human behavioral studies as a variable reinforcement schedule (as opposed to a continuous reinforcement schedule when an animal is rewarded on each trial). Fishing and slot machines keep people coming back for the same psychological reasons.

Lot of truth in that snippet. Just spent a couple days on Penns, think I caught 2 fish over 12". Could have got out earlier each day and fished harder, but we put a lot of time in.
I spent a solid 45 mins targeting a difficult intermittent riser right on the bank, and finally got her to rise....nice 17"er. Made the trip for me, and got that "intermittent gratification".

I agree w intermittent gratification. I fish for tiny stream brookies which are easy to catch. But I like to find them in new places w public access, highish fertility but only brook trout, steep gradient, hemlock canopy or groundwater for all summer fishing, < 2.5 hour drive from philly. Not ez to find new ones like that, sometimes no trout or not even much water out prospecting tiny streams but that's part of it.

There are a few, those like Frank Nale, that have rendered trout fishing to “predictable and controllable”. From everything I’ve read about him, Frank really is gifted and has developed a system that is nearly flawless in producing unheard of catch rates. Despite the ease of his accomplishments, Frank still seems to enjoy fishing

But aside from the super gifted people, the rest of us probably can relate to this article’s message.

Back