Stuck graphite fly rod parts.

salmo

salmo

I was on a fishing trip in October with Silent Ocelot. At the end of the day I could not get my ancient Sage LL 4 weight apart. YouTube had multiple videos which didn’t work. I called Sage. They said that if all else failed I should break off the top and they would make me a new piece to fit. UUUGGH! However, the representative suggested that as a last ditch effort, I buy a can of compressed air to freeze the ferrule. It worked like a charm.

Temperature got mine apart this fall too.
I’ll have to remember the compressed air trick. Thanks!!!

A bag of frozen peas wrapped around the ferrule will usually work as well.

Break off the top? What idiot told you that? A Sage rep????? Wow. He had to be joking.

Using rubber cleaning gloves to get extra grip to twist the ferrule off usually works for me.

Ice or ice packs, in the ever present beer cooler in the back of my car has always done the trick for me, even on metal ferrules...

...followed by a frosty one to celebrate. 🍺

In my case this typically happens when a rod is joined in the early morning and colder part of the day and fished through a warmer or hotter part of the day.

For that reason if I am fishing in conditions like that with a graphite or glass rod with graphite or glass ferrules I will un-seat and re-seat the ferrules at least once or twice during the day.

In addition to the cold beer I always have a couple of grippy pads made from pieces of this stuff back at the car.

Sometimes it works but put the rod behind knees and then grab on outside of the knees your rod and use your legs as you pull your rod apart.

Break off the top? What idiot told you that? A Sage rep????? Wow. He had to be joking.
I agree. It sounds like a good way of solving a small problem by taking the gamble of possibly creating a larger one. If the OP's rod is an original LL and the Sage employee thought it was the reincarnation of the LL, I could see the whole situation turning into a **** show.

Sometimes it works but put the rod behind knees and then grab on outside of the knees your rod and use your legs as you pull your rod apart.

There is generally a reason rod sections that came apart easily once get stuck later. Regardless if the cause is dirt, corrosion or thermal expansion, using excessive force can have a bad outcome.

I always take the extra time to ice my rod joints if they feel even remotely stuck versus taking the chance of ripping off a guide or worse...

Only happened to me once and a frozen bag of corn wrapped around the problem area for 10 minutes did the trick. If i had it happen again i would use a gel ice pack instead to as it would probably work faster than frozen veggies because it would cover more surface area being relatively flat vs. chunky like a bag of veggies

A bag of frozen peas wrapped around the ferrule will usually work as well.

Only happened to me once and a frozen bag of corn wrapped around the problem area for 10 minutes did the trick. If i had it happen again i would use a gel ice pack instead to as it would probably work faster than frozen veggies because it would cover more surface area being relatively flat vs. chunky like a bag of veggies

So do you produce guys take frozen vegetables packed in dry ice fishing with you just in case...? ;)

If not, I assume you had to get home with the rod joined to apply the peas & corn??

Try a cold can of beer the next time. No need to keep it frozen, it has added benefits and it takes less time to consume than a bag-o-corn. :cool:

So do you produce guys take frozen vegetables packed in dry ice fishing with you just in case...? ;)

If not, I assume you had to get home with the rod joined to apply the peas & corn??

Try a cold can of beer the next time. No need to keep it frozen, it has added benefits and it takes less time to consume than a bag-o-corn. :cool:
LOL.

Seriously, though. I find just leaving the stuck rod in the car for a few minutes with the AC running on full is usually enough to get it loose. If not that, then by the time I get home the problem has usually resolved itself.

I can't remember the last time I had to get frozen foods involved.

There is generally a reason rod sections that came apart easily once get stuck later. Regardless if the cause is dirt, corrosion or thermal expansion, using excessive force can have a bad outcome.

I always take the extra time to ice my rod joints if they feel even remotely stuck versus taking the chance of ripping off a guide or worse...
^This

@salmo, if your LL is being to much of a hassle for you, you can alleviate the stress of it getting stuck again by selling it to me.

LOL.

Seriously, though. I find just leaving the stuck rod in the car for a few minutes with the AC running on full is usually enough to get it loose. If not that, then by the time I get home the problem has usually resolved itself.

I can't remember the last time I had to get frozen foods involved.

I hear frozen blueberries work faster than corn but not as fast as frozen spinach...

I also have a friend in Shenandoah who swears by a bag-o mini classic cheddar Mrs. T's Pierogies... ;)

Last edited:

I was already back home, the rod had been assembled for a week or so and when i was breaking it down in the garage the chest freezer was right there next to me. I ALWAYS travel with vegetables but never frozen, always fresh, haha

who said excessive force. Keeping the rod straighter helps.

Worse, I've gone out to store to buy frozen veggies just to unstick a rod. I've never been able to get a cold can of anything to work; it only cools one side of rod.

I had one stick a few weeks ago.
Let it sit over night, and it loosened rather easily the next morning

Back