Stuck ferrules

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Video showing how to pull apart stuck ferrules on your fly rod.

FYI, I recommend you place ferrule wax, aka paraffin wax on the male ends of each rod section to prevent this from happening.

A few other things:

I bring beer with me fishing ‘cause I like it and because the ice or ice packs help if ferrules get stuck. ;-)

Cut a couple of 3” X 3” pieces of the “rubberized” drawer liner stuff to make gripping pads to keep the rod from slipping when you try to pull it apart. Make a few sets and keep them with your gear so you have them if you need them.

Sticking happens most often if you hardly ever disassemble your rod or start fishing when it is cool and quit when it's hot.

If you are doing the former, even if you don’t want to break down your rod, occasionally loosen and reseat the ferrules.

If you are doing the latter, do the same thing during the day.

FWIW – Based on the recommendations of the rod makers who made the rods I own, I only use wax on sleeve-over ferrules, NOT spigots. Doing the things I am suggesting has made sticking either a non-issue or something that is easily remedied...

...so I can have a beer!! :pint:

I have the opposite problem with a couple of my older Orvis rods.
The ferrules loosen up as I fish.

Anybody found a trick to fix this?

All of my Orvis rods excluding bamboo have sleeve-over ferrules that I wax with plain old paraffin, NOT beeswax.

Orvis never offered a rod with true spigots so if your ferrules are non-metal and sleeve-over (the kind with no gap between the sections) wax them and seat them with a SLIGHT twist, which is NOT an issue with that type of ferrule. You can unseat them the same way.

If they are waxed and still coming loose, look carefully at the female for any signs of cracking. If there is cracking, a repair may be necessary.

I have also seen sleeve-over ferrules wear out completely from neglect to the point where even wax made no difference. If the rod is out of warranty and has no cracking at the female, beeswax MAY help or a light coating of epoxy on the male ferrule, sanded to fit works too.

On the rods I own where I don’t wax the ferrules, the joints occasionally get loose during fishing. I am in the habit of checking them occasionally and tightening them if necessary.

Good luck!

Yeah, I always connect my rods with a quarter twist.
And have tried paraffin.

The one, which is an old HLS, has had the problem right from the get go.
I had an incident where Orvis replaced it. And the new one did the same thing.

I thought about trying epoxy. But have been a little hesitant - afraid of getting it on too heavy so that it won't go together at all.
The epoxy I always use is rather thick.
Do you thin it down somehow before applying?

Sounds odd but I was told a trick many years ago that used to work. Rub the male end of the ferrule on the side of your nose before connecting the sections. The skin's oil will make it easier to get apart when breakdown time comes.

dryflyguy wrote:
And have tried paraffin.

I thought about trying epoxy. But have been a little hesitant - afraid of getting it on too heavy so that it won't go together at all.
Take a look at this and remember, STRENGTH is not an issue for this type of repair.

tomgamber wrote:
Sounds odd but I was told a trick many years ago that used to work. Rub the male end of the ferrule on the side of your nose before connecting the sections. The skin's oil will make it easier to get apart when breakdown time comes.
Skin oils contain acids, not good for metal ferrules and is less effective than wax for keeping graphite or fiberglass ferrules from getting stuck and NOT getting loose.

Metal needs or wants anything except to kept clean and not twisted.

Bamboozle wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
And have tried paraffin.

Take a look at this and remember, STRENGTH is not an issue for this type of repair.

So, have you tried any of those methods?

Little nose sweat and 1/4 twist works great for me. been doing it this way for years, surf rods, fly rods, never a problem. Some rods are 30 years old.

dryflyguy wrote:
So, have you tried any of those methods?
I've tried both for something other than fattening up a ferrule. That I never needed to do.

I use heat most often because I'm looking for strength, but alcohol is easier.

You WILL want to turn the rod blank as it sets so use the 5-minute stuff.

Experiment on an old stick pen barrel or something till you get the hang of it or take it to a rod builder who should have no issues doing the repair.

If it's still under warranty and Orivis has parts, I go that route first or take whatever new rod they offer you.

Good luck!

That rod is long out of warranty.

Really hasn't been that big of a deal.
It's never come apart
Just loosens a little occassionally

Back