Striper fishing in Cape Cod

dc410

dc410

Well, I got to spend the better part of the week in Cape Cod last week fishing for Stripers. We fished hard for three days (Tuesday through Thursday). On Tuesday we got into some schoolies as we fished with a moderate SW wind. The conditions seemed to be very favorable and we had our best day in numbers on Tuesday. On Wednesday the wind changed to a very stiff NE wind and it seemed to really put a dent in the fishing. However, we were still getting into a few fish here and there and they were definitely bigger fish. On Thursday the wind was sustained between 15-20 mph and shifted to almost directly out of the east. The windy conditions made casting very challenging and very few fish were caught that day. Overall, we still got into a decent amount of fish and we just had a blast!

Even though our numbers weren't real impressive we did catch a fair percentage of our fish in the 20-26" range. Fish of this size are a whole lot of fun and can keep a real good bend in the old 8 weight. We also caught a few decent size American Shad in the surf and a handful of Sea Robins. Most of our fish were caught on Ray's flies, Clousers, Half and Halfs and various Sand Eel patterns. I really enjoyed the trip and hope to get back up there sometime in the future. Thanks to everyone who supplied me with some valuable information previous to the trip. I learned a ton about saltwater flyfishing and fishing for stripers in general in regards to tides, wind direction, moon phases, beachfront, coves, baitfish movement and striper feeding habits. It has been quite an education. Thanks again. Here are a few photos from the trip.

Attachments

• Cape Cod Beachfront.jpg
    Cape Cod Beachfront.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Fish on.jpg
    Fish on.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Schoolie.jpg
    Schoolie.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 24 inch Striper.jpg
    24 inch Striper.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3
  • Cape Cod seals.jpg
    Cape Cod seals.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3
  • American Shad.jpg
    American Shad.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Sea Robin.jpg
    Sea Robin.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3
That looks like a good time. Those are some nice fish too.

Why are they called "schoolies"? I'm totally ignorant to saltwater though I have caught stripers on a fly rod. I might have to pack my 8wt the next time I head to the beach house.

Schoolies because they school, like perch. You know, a school of fish. A fish herd.

like barbless schoolies is a term for small bass. big fish usually hang in a small pack of 4 or 5 fish or solo.

Job well done. Glad you took notice on all the nuances of salt water fishing. You have just discovered the tip of the iceberg. Over the next few weeks it will turn into a night/sunrise game that will last until mid September.

Nice job! Glad to see you got into some fish John.

Oftentimes, first time salt fly rodders get discouraged because the fish don't show up and the wind is usually much tougher than what they're accustomed to in fresh water. You bucked the wind and the bass cooperated (the stripping basket really helps too).

good job.

in a stiff NE wind, try Hardings Beach over low tide, or park at the Refuge and death March to the end of Morris Island to fish stage harbor inlet on the outgoing.

over high tide, try the beach at Oyster pond on Stage Harbor rd.

Nice job now all your waders will slowly turn into bootfoots over the next few years :-D

nice going, saw a few guys had caught some cows in the canal last week. buy flats bootie or surf shoes to wear over your waders.

Glad you guys had a good time & got into some fish John. Looks like a good time was had by all, good fishing and great company makes for a great time away. Love the pics, congrats you salty dog...

Back