Striper Eastern PA

F

falconpilot

Hey all. New to the area and was wondering where is a good place for striper on the fly rod within a couple of hours from the lehigh valley?

Thanks

Ocean or Hybrid?

Beltsville has stripers.

Either. trying to find something easy. Bringing a co worker who just bought an 8 rod and wants to start fishing.

in a few week, I would head to Sandy Hook, NJ. 2.5 hours and your right @ the ocean. bring small surfcandies, mullet imitations and peanut bunker flies. If you go now there are reports of albies and snapper blues.

You can fish the Delaware for schoolies and maybe a few larger ones.

If you decide to explore the Delaware in the non-tidal stretch, stripers will be gone for all intents and purposes within the next two weeks. Falling water temps will push them out. The closest lakes with stripers are Beltsville, Nockamixon, and Blue Marsh, but shore fishing is unlikely to be productive at this time of the year. The situation for shore fishing changes in April and May.

If you want to catch stripers on Beltzville in the coming year, keep an eye on the trout stocking schedule for the lake. I have been told by many anglers and the fish commission officer for the area that it is like a feeding frenzy for the stripers when they dump the trout in.

where on the Delaware? Thanks for all the replies

Ive heard the same thing Becker, I hear it can get crazy when they stock beltzville

Tie some 6 inch brown trout streamers during the winter and go fishing the day they stock Beltzville Reservoir.
OR during the summer go to the Delaware during the night, from 1 am till dawn and catch then at night.

There are stripers in the Delaware and Schuylkill year round but I think your best bet now it to hit the salt.

Thanks everybody! I am excited to read about all the fishing on the beach. Anyone care to point me to a good place and also equipment and flies to use? I am a newbie. Was just put in Montana and got a guide to fish and now hooked on fly fishing!

See my post above. First response to your question. Seriously. It looks like you are somewhere in the Lehigh Valley and this time of yr this is the easiest place to get to, with the best chance at Bass. You could drive to Montauk, but that is a different ball game.

If you need more info:

Use a 10wt if you have it, if not bring the heaviest wt rod you have. Be warned that if you bring your 5wt though, you will have your hands full at best. Anything below about an 8wt is going to be difficult to use. 5ft of 25lb test for leader. Bring 3 kinds of flies: Small surf candies like 2-3" in Chart over white, and olive or tan over white, Clousers same colors. Bobs bangers (top water popper). If you want to complicate it throw in some peanut bunker patterns.
Consider making a stripping basket if you can, if not don't sweat it. You can make one from a wash tub from $1Store and a bungee cord. Google this.

Take rt 78 to 287 s.
287s to Garden St Expressway (Not NJ turnpike)
Garden State to exit 117 Sandy Hook exit
after toll take rt 36 all the way to sandy hook.

You can fish the ocean or the bay from sandy hook. Drive all the way to the end of Sandy Hook, then walk the 1 mile to the point if you want to fish bay and ocean almost at the same time. Nice rips there too, but you don't have to do this.

Bored with Sandy Hook? Leave Park and drive South on rt36 for about 20 miles of Jetties. You have to look for parking, but this time of year its not too bad. Find some jetties, get out. Look for birds and/ or fisherman. Fish there or move on.

Striper fishing in the Delaware near Easton Picks up around Labor Day to the end of September. They chase the shad fingerlings down the river. You can run in to some very nice size fish under the right conditions, fishing streamers.

I've caught 10lb and over stripers on the Delaware in bucks county. You can also try corsons inlet in nj. But you will have your best chance at night. Plus you need to double haul. Fly fishing in the dark is not something I reccommend if your just starting out. I fish from my friends boat at night and it took me while to get used to it.

PM me if you want some specifics.

Back