Streams to fish near Kane

T

tempy1429

First off, i've been a member for a few months now but this is my first post, so i'd just like to say hi. Second, i'm headed to Kane in McKean county to spend the weekend with some buddies since i'm currently on spring break. I've fished there before when I was younger but it was stocked streams. So my question is, where can I (legally) fish and possibly catch a few fish? Either near kane or on the way?

Welcome Tempy,
Things are just about frozen solid across much of the state. Not a lot of options right now - maybe head over to Centre County to hit the limestone streams like Spring Creek (that's what I'd do if I was visiting upstate PA).

Try hitting the link "Where to Fly Fish" in the upper right side of this page and you can search by county.

Check the county listings for project waters. Offhand there is the Kinzua Cr. DHALO in McKean Co., East and West Branches of the Clarion in Elk Co., DHALO and FFO respectively. But as mentioned they are likely to be frozen.

The allegheny river below kinzua dam, and the east branch clarion river, are tail waters. And might be open. Certainly worth checking while you're in that area IMO.

The stocking of the Kinzua DHALO originally scheduled for this week was postponed. Last year, some folks who helped stock said they cut holes in the ice in some places to get the buckets of fish in, and that access on some of the forest roads that border streams up there was dicey at best, and I think this was after some of last year's stockings were postponed as well. Last winter was a bit warmer than this winter. You don't mention where you are departing from, so it's hard to say what might be on the way :)

I'd second what dryflyguy said, if you want the best chances for open water. And the potential for large browns, musky or walleye.

Everything up that way is likely frozen this time of the year. but there is a creek along Rt. 6 that is DH and is open, but I don't remember the name.

Was there last weekend. about 25 inches of now. I think they got a few more inches this week. The small streams are all covered in snow and no open water was visible. Definitely head elsewhere, like spring creek.

Back