Streams near Exton

C

CravenMorehead

I'm a novice fly fisherman that works in Exton, and it's a decent commute so I don't know the area well. I noticed the East Branch Brandywine, Beaver Creek, and Valley Creek. Can anyone else recommend other streams or spots? I understand not wanting to burn a spot but even an access point helps. I'm starting to get the fly fishing itch and would really like to unwind and get better after a days work.

Yo Cra - going right through Exton is West Valley Creek, which flows into the Brandywine. The PA DOT confuses West Valley with the Valley Creek which goes through the National Park into the Schuylkill. West Valley also stays cold but has had sinkhole problems. The WCFGW has a nursery on Ravine Road and stocks West Valley. Valley Forge TU has put brook trout eggs in Vibert boxes in West Valley, and some have hatched. A member caught a nice brookie last year.

E. Branch fished well this past Saturday in the DHALO section. Nice hatches and plenty of risers. Really any section of the E. Branch is enjoyable, IMO. W. Branch Brandywine is also a fun creek to fish. Main Stem Brandywine is unknown to me, but its on my list to try out since I live close.

I haven't fished Beaver Creek, but that is stocked as well.

Pickering Creek is my favorite suburban Philly stream, and really the only one I have much desire to fish. I don’t really know why, it’s mostly stockers and gets warm, but I like it. Check out the DHALO section once the early season crowds thin. It’s a zoo in March when the general regs stocked streams are still closed, and for a little bit after opening day.

Yo Cra - going right through Exton is West Valley Creek, which flows into the Brandywine. The PA DOT confuses West Valley with the Valley Creek which goes through the National Park into the Schuylkill. West Valley also stays cold but has had sinkhole problems. The WCFGW has a nursery on Ravine Road and stocks West Valley. Valley Forge TU has put brook trout eggs in Vibert boxes in West Valley, and some have hatched. A member caught a nice brookie last year.
Thank you for the response. Is there an access point for West Valley Creek. I'm struggling to even find it on Google Maps.

Thank you for the response. Is there an access point for West Valley Creek. I'm struggling to even find it on Google Maps.
Clover mill road that runs b/w downingtown and exton. as mentioned above there are sink hole issues and now new housing in fields across street. I just drove thru it other day and there's still spots to park. or you can head thru the twin tunnels on other side of quary road. creek will be on your left, not too many pull offs tho.

Clover mill road that runs b/w downingtown and exton. as mentioned above there are sink hole issues and now new housing in fields across street. I just drove thru it other day and there's still spots to park. or you can head thru the twin tunnels on other side of quary road. creek will be on your left, not too many pull offs tho.
Got it thanks you. I'll check it out. I followed the creek on Maps down to Paradise Valley Nature Area, I think I'll check that out too. Have you ever ventured that far downstream?

Got it thanks you. I'll check it out. I followed the creek on Maps down to Paradise Valley Nature Area, I think I'll check that out too. Have you ever ventured that far downstream?
yep, I grew up 5 minutes from west valley, I've fished it all when I lived down that way.

Back