Streams in the winter

salmo

salmo

I would love to see some pictures of our trout streams as a result of the recent frigged temps. particularly Valley Creek. Thanks in advance for any posts.

No pics but it is open with ice along the sides of the slower water. Some of the pools have ice about one quarter of the way out from each bank with open water in the middle.

Spring Creek at the Paradise. Frozen Over. It's a rare sight. I can't remember the last time I saw this.

There was one brave soul out fishing in an open channel.

Sorry guys, I'm having trouble attaching the pics. I'll have to try again later.

Thanks for all of the responses. I note that despite the very cold temperatures which should lock in the ground water, the Valley Creek flows remain at or above average for this time of the year. Seems counterintuitive to me.

I have some from today will post shortly.

Valley was about 80% iced over in Chesterbrook this afternoon. The last one is from Saucon last week when it hit a balmy 29.

20180107_145421.jpg

20180107_145244.jpg

20180107_145424.jpg

20180103_114208.jpg

As of 10pm tonight, the whole USGS flow map over on the right is offline - frozen solid. :-o

The colors have been disappearing for the last week. Hopefully, the next week will break up some of the ice.

Nice pics above.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It does make me look forward to spring.

Pictures of Spring Creek at the Paradise to go with my original post. Froze over sections is not something you will see very often.

Attachments

• ICY-Bridge.jpg
    ICY-Bridge.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ICY Paradise.jpg
    ICY Paradise.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 4
Hopefully today and tomorrow will bring some warmer temps and some very hungry fish.

Expect high water in freestones and low water temps. Approach carefully in shallow rocky areas and look for basking trout in slower current areas that are not heavily shaded.

The Laurel Highlands streams that I crossed as of 8:30 this morning we’re totally froze over. Upper Loyalhanna,Rolling Rock creek and Linn Run.

FYI for guys looking to get out this weekend in Central PA > from the Featured Hook site, report as of 1/11/17:

1.11.2018….First of the year
I wouldn’t call it a thaw. Its only January 11th. We still have a couple more months of winter. Temperatures are predicted to stay over freezing until Saturday. There is some rain in the forecast. The warmer temps and mixture of above freezing precipitation may just be enough to cut back the heavy amounts of Ice on Penns Creek. I doubt it will eliminate it.

I was at Ingleby yesterday. I walked over half a mile upstream before turning back to the car. It was all ice. Slow and deep, riffles, eddies, all of it…ICE.

Truthfully I had not fished in a couple weeks. I was happy watching drywall mud and paint dry (literally) instead of battling sub 0 temps on the water. With the break in weather I headed out yesterday to find that first fish of the new year.

Josh did well on Fishing Creek the day before. The lower end is wide open. Still a fair bit of ice through The Narrows. The lower end of Spring Creek is wide open. You might find some ice if you go far enough up near Spring Creek Park.

This week looks like an opportunistic time to get out, wet a line, and wrangle a few fish. Get the new year started off on the right fin, so to speak. If you can find some open water the fish have been eager to eat a fly. They are also looking chunky and in much better shape that the last couple winters.

Link to source: http://www.thefeatheredhook.com/

Wow - those pics of the Paradise are something else. I can remember seeing ice on that pool during past cold periods, but nothing of this extent.

Below is a recent pic of the north branch of the Susky. Ice jams are a huge issue when the ice covered river suddenly rises from a heavy rainfall and/or a sudden thaw.

Attachments

• North Branch Susky.jpg
    North Branch Susky.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 4
I saw that online yesterday. Just ripping the trees right out of the bank.

Back