Streams being considered for wild trout designations

M

Mike

Streams being considered for wild trout designations are now appearing on a relatively new list for six months, which is an earlier step in the public review process than had existed in the past. As a result, streams are in many cases being revealed sooner and in greater number than you may be used to, making it worthwhile to check this list periodically. At the moment, the list is quite long.

http://www.fishandboat.com/wild-trout-designations-step1.htm

Thanks that must be the result of a lot of hard survey work by a lot of people

It reads on the PFBC site that wild trout = naturally reproducing = they can / probably will still stock it. Its a good sign though and maybe some of the streams will reach high enough biomass to be removed from stocking some day. Tank you for the update Mike

A pile of water from Schuylkill Co. which was nice to see.

Unt To Unt To Unt To Globe Run

Tributary to: Unt To Unt To Globe Run

Does anyone have a hatch chart for that stream?

troutbert wrote:
Unt To Unt To Unt To Globe Run

Tributary to: Unt To Unt To Globe Run

Does anyone have a hatch chart for that stream?

I wonder if thats a first order stream?

it's just one stream, but interesting to see an E Brnch Fshn Crk trib, trout run, on this list. area is known for acid rain, and as salmonoid pointed out elsewhere, trout run was listed as impaired in 04.

"The following Sullivan County streams are listed on the 2004 Pennsylvania Integrated Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Report (formerly the 303d list).

Atmosheric Deposition/Metals
- East Branch Fishing Creek (and unt) - 4.64 mi.
- Ore Run (and unt)- 1.11 mi.
- Heberly Run (and unt)- 5.72 mi.
- Sullivan Branch (and unt)- 5.06 mi.
- Meeker Run (and unt)- 1.19 mi.
- Hunts Run- 0.49 mi.
- Pigeon Run- 1.30 mi.
- Long Run (and unt)- 4.25 mi.
- Big Run (and unt)- 2.52 mi.
- Lead Run (and unt)- 1.84 mi.
- Blackberry Run (and unt)- 2.91 mi.
- Hog Run- 2.02 mi.
- Trout Run (and unt)- 1.88 mi.
- Elk Run (and unt)- 0.43 mi.
- Peterman Run- 1.63 mi."

also in that thread, rainfall pH is on the rise (a Lycoming site):

http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/sites/ntn/ntntrends.html?siteID=PA52

Mike, great info and much appreciation to the PFBC for all the hard work surveying and compiling this list.

k-bob wrote:
it's just one stream, but interesting to see an E Brnch Fshn Crk trib, trout run, on this list. area is known for acid rain, and as salmonoid pointed out elsewhere, trout run was listed as impaired in 04.

"The following Sullivan County streams are listed on the 2004 Pennsylvania Integrated Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Report (formerly the 303d list).

Atmosheric Deposition/Metals
- East Branch Fishing Creek (and unt) - 4.64 mi.
- Ore Run (and unt)- 1.11 mi.
- Heberly Run (and unt)- 5.72 mi.
- Sullivan Branch (and unt)- 5.06 mi.
- Meeker Run (and unt)- 1.19 mi.
- Hunts Run- 0.49 mi.
- Pigeon Run- 1.30 mi.
- Long Run (and unt)- 4.25 mi.
- Big Run (and unt)- 2.52 mi.
- Lead Run (and unt)- 1.84 mi.
- Blackberry Run (and unt)- 2.91 mi.
- Hog Run- 2.02 mi.
- Trout Run (and unt)- 1.88 mi.
- Elk Run (and unt)- 0.43 mi.
- Peterman Run- 1.63 mi."

also in that thread, rainfall pH is on the rise (a Lycoming site):

http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/sites/ntn/ntntrends.html?siteID=PA52

But impaired did not necessarily mean no trout present. It must have been based on some other parameter.

Because some of those tribs have held trout all along, and some not.

right, impaired does not equal no fish. so I wish we could see the old surveys, with dates, when trout were _not_ found on particular streams (can we?). maybe trout run had them all along. heberly and sullivan have had some, as we know.

interesting to see four WB fishin crib tribs on this list. perhaps they had ST all along, and were just never surveyed before.

but imho recent reductions in acid rain, which are clearly documented, could lead to return of ST to marginal streams.

we don't have the info, but I think it's likely that some streams on this list have been surveyed before. I know there's more survey work now, but it's pretty long list for none of these streams to have been surveyed in the past.

and some streams on this list are in fairly low buffering bedrock types that I don't always associate with viable wild trout ..several start in burgoon, for example

I would have to believe impaired would affect insect life sooner and for a longer duration that it would preclude any fish from surviving.

Now go rip lips!

Some of those stream sections were already surveyed before and were on the wild trout list already. But they are on this list because they are now being proposed for Class A.

The great majority of the streams on that list were probably never surveyed before, though. Many are very small streams, what we call "trickle tribs."

"The great majority of the streams on that list were probably never surveyed before, though. Many are very small streams, what we call "trickle tribs.""

yes, and some serious leg and back work in surveying when you see where some of these little tribs are :-o :-o

Impaired can mean, temp. chemistry, flow, you name it. In the case of EB Fishing Creek, it's chemistry.

PA has 67 counties. Checking the wild trout list and this list of proposed streams for the list, I found only 4 counties where no wild trout have been found:

Beaver, Greene, Washington, and Philadelphia Counties.

I bet in 3 of those 4 there's Browns reproducing somewhere. Maybe all 4.

Philadelphia is in the list.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Philadelphia is in the list.

The wild trout list has the Schuylkill River under Philadelphia County, because they put the stream name under the county where its mouth is located.

But the wild trout section is in Schuylkill County, much further upriver, not in Philadelphia County.

It is confusing to list it under the county of the mouth, rather than the county where the wild trout section is located. Someone in the PFBC told me that they intend to change this.

i know. just saying in the current format, it is on the list

Back