Streamers on Limestoners

Rockfish

Rockfish

Lately I’ve been trying to improve my streamer skills, particularly on central PA limestoners but I feel like I’m missing something. I use both up or downstream presentations depending on my read of the stream contours and disposition of weedbeds but I’m not sure if I tend to to work my fly too quickly or maybe don’t impart enough action to the fly but I still leave the stream more often than not scratching my head. My usual choice on streams like the Letort or BS is a 7 ft 5 wt with a tapered leader (usually 7.5’). On that I usually throw Shenk minnows, or small sculpin patterns. I do generally delegate streamers to stained water and cloudy days. Any advice is appreciated

My feel is, Entice The Strike! The Streamer needs to be, Where the fish are. EG: floating, sink tip, full sinking!

Most, say a short leader of 3 to 5 ft. length is good! Down and dirty!

I like the Down and Dirty. Up and Away seems to be Out Without A Doubt!

Maxima12

My advice to folks wanting to up their streamer game on limestoners is to...

Downsize their flies, tie 'em to ride hook upward, and make them as heavy as they dare (and then add some more weight). Fish in close and avoid long casts.

Dave_W wrote:
My advice to folks wanting to up their streamer game on limestoners is to...

Downsize their flies, tie 'em to ride hook upward, and make them as heavy as they dare (and then add some more weight). Fish in close and avoid long casts.

I watched DaveW pick apart the a limestone stream with his heavy streamers. Hitting every good looking weedbeds, logs and rocks as well as holes and dropoffs. It's a lot like flipping and pitching for bass.

Dave W,
I’m curious, why would riding hook up make a difference?
Thanks

Agreed on the extra weight. Get it down on the bottom. Twitch and quick irregular strips along any edge or cut bank. Don’t hesitate to fish under the bank you’re standing on. I will often fish streamers on the letort on the side I’m standing on to about mid stream. When done with a stretch, I’ll do longer casts and quicker retrieves as I walk back to where I started. I’ll then work the opposite bank the same way. Don’t give up. I’ve taken many skunks streamer fishing, but when they’re in the mood, you can hook into a fish of the year.

Don’t overlook the weed beds themselves. I have caught many fish on Big Spring and to a lesser extent the Letort that either came out of hidden slots in the bed or took my streamer as I pulled it free from the vegetation.

I appreciate the suggestions. I’ve tied up several meat whistles on #2 and #4 gamakatsu jig hooks which I’d think might do the trick. I also throw some pretty heavily weighted (relatively speaking) sculpin patterns in 4s,6s, and 8s. Do you think I need to downsize even further? I have noticed some fish spook at the plop some heavily weighted streamers but I suspect that’s less of a problem in smaller sizes. Also, do you suggest upstream or downstream retrieves or base that on what seems best on a particular stretch?

Coyoterahn,

I suspect the hook riding up is a bit less likely to foul with weeds or hang on the bottom.

-Rock

I’ve had a lot of success with a small olive sculpin pattern. I fish a floating line with a longer leader. 9 foot 3x no need to fish anything lighter you’ll just break Fish off. You gotta hide. I think that’s the key. Most of my presentation are down stream but I’ve had a lot of fish take a fly that was casted up stream and let the fly settle to the bottom let the stream current drag your fly across the bottom. Just strip the slack in. Big spring is a pretty good place to learn and the fish are pretty willing to eat. You just have to stay hidden and present that fly in the right way. I tie a 2 inch sculpin fly. It’s just a olive zonker strip with a deer head and two 1/8 tungsten beads glued to the bottom. Hook rides up and is kinda hidden.

0hCxciO.jpg

jSlAjr5.jpg

9afT5VI.jpg

mEazjUW.jpg

Nice pics Marcq and I appreciate the feedback. I think I’ve a few tweaks to try out next time I head up there....when they reopen the border ????

I know pa is allowed to travel to certain states if you are there for less then 72 hours.

Yeah, it seems there’s some grey areas but it looks like if I’ll be ok. I live alone and work from home so I’m living a pretty quarantined existence so I doubt I’d be any threat. Lately, just been kinda waiting for the spawn to wrap up but I think I may venture out tomorrow and maybe hit the Breeches

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who gave me tips on how to approach the limestoners with streamers. I'd tied up several small sculpin patterns on 60 degree bend jig hooks and set out to Big Spring this morning. I picked up one small bow and had several others and a couple brookies whack my fly without getting stuck. I'd been thinking about the advice to work the same bank I was on paying attention to slots and undercuts, and as I worked it down along a log it happened and a big bow appeared and promptly ate my fly then proceded to go ballistic in a series of nerve wracking jumps and attempts to get back underneath the log. I finally got the fish in only to have it pop my 2x tippet right at the net. Lucky for me, he dove right into the net and I was still able to land him. He taped out to just a hair over 23" and my personal best wild bow. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your ideas and feel things finally clicked into place. Now the obsession begins in earnest.

Attachments

• BigSpringBow.jpg
    BigSpringBow.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 8
Back