Streamer

jayL

jayL

Sender asked me how to tie a streamer. I threw something together.

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

http://bozemanviaphilly.blogspot.com/2011/12/fly.html

I need to get into meat flies....I would be curious if the eyes making the front hook ride hook point up and the rear hook unweighted on the bottom point up would cause the fly to spin.

I guess I will have to try and find out.

It doesnt matter if its hook up or down. The slack in the mono between the beads and the eyelet will let the hook naturally rotate around. While it fished, its just gonna happen.

The only way to keep ur hooks inline is to use surflon or some other heavy wire for your joints. With the wire there is no need for the beads then.

It spins a bit, but it doesn't really matter. Fish it on 15 lb tippet, move it fast, and they will eat it.

As long as you strip set, you'll hook them.

Oh I was just saying fo the estetics of the fly hooks keepin inline. The fly is gonna rotate being stripped though the currents and arouund obsticles. The big tandems I was fishing this spring were on 50 lbs braid and back hook spun freely. Since then I switched to 90 lbs surflon. its more stable and durable.

And the strip set is maditory

Nice job. Yuh gotta love Monster Streamers.
I've tried different ways of linking the joint and, for the most part, do something much like Jay has demonstrated.

With regards to spinning, I've found, that with flies this size and with so much material, the dumbell eye is much less effective in keeping the fly upright. For this application, a bead chain keel works much better in my experience. Jay, for a fly the size and mass of the one you've tied, I'd think probably a half dozen brass beads would do the trick (this requires some experimentation).

Attachments

• Bead Strmr.jpg
    Bead Strmr.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 2
Bead chain keel.

That's some serious FF engineering, I'm jealous I didn't think of it.

nice fly Jay. Dollar store is a great place for the super glue. I think I get 3 small tubes for a buck.

I've tied up a few articulated streamers but haven't tied them on yet. That day will come sometime next year though. That is for sure.

Large streamer fish and a cicada fish are on my list for next year.

2012 spot burn...

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

Ryan,

Go to central pa when everything is blown out. Fish them on the banks. You'll catch fish on big streamers for sure.

Dave,

I've been considering trying the keel thing. I believe you showed me or posted it before. I'm going to give it a go tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

Looks like Cumberland is getting cicadas this year .

They call cicadas "salmonflies" out here, and they happen every year. ;-)

jayL wrote:
Ryan,

Go to central pa when everything is blown out. Fish them on the banks. You'll catch fish on big streamers for sure.

So we all should be properly prepared for the JAM next year...

jayL wrote:

I thought the western salmonfly was a massive stonefly? Or at least looked like one to me.

That is how I fished the majority of last year's jam. I used a similar streamer, but it was all black and had no sculpin wool.

ryguyfi wrote:
jayL wrote:

I thought the western salmonfly was a massive stonefly? Or at least looked like one to me.

It is. The basic result is the same, though. Giant bugs and fish rising to them.

I like tying the circus peanut and the dungeon. But Im gonna tye some with reversed tyed bucktail intead of marabou to cut the weight down while casting,

Im heading to spring creek this yr during high water with the 7wt. to huck some meat. I just have to get a 250 grn sinking line and im set.

Your results may vary, but I didn't think a sink tip was necessary. I fished spring in 7 to 800 cfs, and all the fish I moved were within inches of the bank.

Nice fly Jay, try them on a cutthroat stream and let me know how you do.

Chaz,

I fished a 6 inch long sculpin, and took a 20" class cutthroat. It ate the fly, came to the boat, and came off. It stayed next to the boat, so I got it to eat again and missed it. This time, I kept the fly in the water, and it ate yet again.

This was on the yellowstone in paradise valley.

Back