Streamer Setups?

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a more dedicated streamer setup. Presently I use 5wt's for just about everything. 9' 5wt Orvis Clearwater for medium to larger water, shorter glass rods for small to medium water. I used Airflo Forge WF line, and I love it.

I like the adaptability of the way I fish now because I can nymph, toss dries or streamers all with the same setup. However after fishing up in Maine recently I have gotten thinking that maybe I need to look into using a sinking tip fly line for when I want to toss streamers on bigger water.

Would it be better to get a spare spool and throw some sinking tip line on my 5wt? Or should I look into a 6-7wt rod/reel setup? Currently I use a Orvis Battenkill Disc III as my primary reel.

I typically use size 4-10 streamers primarily. Don't have a need to go smaller.

Looking for fly line/rod recommendations

Thanks,
Tom

Depends on what kind of waters your fishing....

Likely, the answer would be to keep using your 5 wt clearwater. If you feel a sink line is needed then purchase a spare spool. IMO, most streams in PA don't require a sink line. Another alternative would be to use a sink tip.

I fish a rod similar to you and I like the versatility of fishing dries/nymphs/streamers with 1 rod. I was in your shoes some years ago and bought a 6 weight. Haven't fished with it in years. Save your money!

Millsertime wrote:
Depends on what kind of waters your fishing....

Likely, the answer would be to keep using your 5 wt clearwater. If you feel a sink line is needed then purchase a spare spool. IMO, most streams in PA don't require a sink line. Another alternative would be to use a sink tip.

I fish a rod similar to you and I like the versatility of fishing dries/nymphs/streamers with 1 rod. I was in your shoes some years ago and bought a 6 weight. Haven't fished with it in years. Save your money!

Yeah I think that a spare spool and maybe some sink tip line might do the trick. On second thought I highly doubt I would carry two rods based on the way I fish now.

Get a sinking polyleader or two to see if streamer fishing is your thing. I think if you find it is you will want a heavier rod and a variety of lines. Sinking lines aren’t really just for fishing large, deep rivers. They allow you to use somewhat buoyant flies that have some float recovery. IMO it’s much more fun to fish these style flies than it is to just pull color

Sink tip on a separate spool. Use sinking leaders to get down where you want to be. Personally, I have used Teeny Sink tip lines and Polly Leaders and have liked the results. Plus no bb shot to contend with. GG

the spare spool method best but if you're a minimalist or poor like I was when I was just out of college, make or buy your self a couple of "lead heads".

Basically coated lead core line with loops wrapped onto each end. I had a couple of different lengths depending on what kind of water and how fast I wanted to get down.

I use a loop to loop between my line and leader so I would just put one of these between the line and leader. This was most handy when I left on second spool of sinking line in the car and was out in the float tube. But any time you need to get down this combined with a weighted streamer is sink-tip fast.

looks like this (although mine weren't as pretty)

Attachments

• lead head.jpg
    lead head.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4
Get a 9' 7wt and a reel to match it. Wf7f line. Not sure where you fished in maine, but I'd be willing to bet it is much bigger water than what is in pa. I'd hold off on the sink tip for now until you're sure you cant get down with a heavy fly and an 8-9' leader.

Back