Streamer Setup beginner

D

Dante12

From my research I feel like I am going to purchase a 5wt 8.6-9" rod (looking at llbean quest 2). Anyways my brain has yet to figure out the leader/tippet correlation to fly size. My general idea is that you need to change leader size and length everytime you change fly size? I plan on grabbing some wooly buggers and start tossing out at the local pond for panfish before I start wading through stream. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fly line setup for 5wt streamer fishing? I don't think I trust the line from the complete outfits you can purchase.hh

First you don't need to change your leader with every fly. You may need to add some tippet to your leader however. I would start with 7.5 foot 2x leader and buy a spool of 2x and 3x tippet(you will need more sizes in the future) Once youve gone through a few wolly buggers and your leader has shortened a foot or more take 18 inches of the tippet and attach to your leader with a surgeons knot (or whatever knot you might use for tieing monofilament together). You're probably going to get a variety of advice I'm just trying to keep it simple at first. Once youve spent some time with the buggers and want to cast a smaller fly,maybe a dry you will need tippet that gets smaller, down to 6x or so. The smaller the fly the lighter the tippet you use, the larger the fly the heavier you use. As you get more comfortable tieing knots you will be able to change tippet quickly when switching to a different fly. Most people end up with a 9 foot leader but since you are just starting a 7.5 foot is easier to manage at the beginning. Hope this helps.

^ good info above.

Here's a recent thread about tippet size to read:

Tippet Size

X Diameter Lbs Fly size
8X .003" 1.75 22, 24, 26, 28
7X .004" 2.5 18, 20, 22, 24
6X .004" 3.5 16, 18, 20, 22
5X .006" 4.75 14, 16, 18
4X .007" 6 12, 14, 16
3X .008" 8.5 6, 8, 10
2X .009" 11.5 4, 6, 8
1X .010" 13.5 2, 4, 6
0X .011" 15.5 1/0, 2, 4
.012 .012" 18.5 5/0, 4/0,3/0, 2/0
.013 .013" 20 5/0, 4/0,3/0, 2/0
.015 .015" 25 5/0, 4/0,3/0, 2/0

Keeping it super simple divide hook size by 3 to get a rule of thumb on tippet size. Size 12 divide by 3 = 4x tippet, size 10 divide by 3 = 3x tippet. Personally I don't go smaller then 6X.

Keeping it super simple divide hook size by 3 to get a rule of thumb on tippet size. Size 12 divide by 3 = 4x tippet, size 10 divide by 3 = 3x tippet. Personally I don't go smaller then 6X.

Important takeaway for any beginner is that there's not one specific right answer in the world of leaders and tippets.

If the question is "what works?" given a set of parameters (fly size, general expected catch, rigging/type of fly or flies, etc.), there's usually a decently broad range of specific setups that will work well enough.

When I was just starting out, the biggest thing I had to learn to account for in my leaders & tippets was that the leader isn't just there to get your fly away from your fly line, it plays an essential part in the cast as well, and heavier material will transfer the energy of the cast better.

For specifics, if you're stating out with a normal length med-fast 5wt, I'd say grab yourself 4 leaders at 7.5 ft 2X and two at 9 ft 3X. All mono for now.

When you get them home, take them out of the bag and uncoil them, and use a Sharpie to mark a point approx. 18" up from the tip. Doesn't have to be exact, you just need a reference point because it's a lot tougher to tell where "18 inches from the bottom" is once you start clipping from the bottom. Mark them up, re-coil them, and go fish.

The 2X are your nymph & streamer leaders. Buggers, clousers, zonkers, etc. can be a bear to cast with a longer, lighter leader, so you're going to use the 7.5 ft 2X as the base for a short, stout leader. Generally you're fishing these flies for bigger, predatory fish, as well as bass and pike, so the fish you're after aren't leader-shy. Use two of the 2X leaders for streamer fishing, and when you get up to the Sharpie mark, tie a perfection loop into the bottom of the leader. This will allow you to add tippet as needed without continually eating away at your main leader. Just get a spool of 2X tippet, pull off 18-24", tie a perfection loop in one end, and do a loop-to-loop connection to the bottom of your leader. If you're fishing small versions of these flies (like a #12 bugger), you can add 18-24" of a finer tippet to the bottom of the normal tippet, with a surgeons knot.

For the second two 7.5 ft 2X, make those your nymphing leaders. Using either the full length or the trimmed back length, tie on about 2 feet of 2X or 3X tippet, and add the loop to the bottom of that. If you've got hi-vis line that you want to use as a sighter, this is the place for it (with the 18" trimmed back). Below the loop, you're going to add tippet based on how deep you're fishing, either in 3X or 4X, depending on conditions.

For the two 9 ft, 3X leaders, once you've marked them and fished back to the mark, tie the loop and use them for dries and small nymphs that you'll fish without much "rigging". You can hit these two leaders with the floatant of your choice to improve performance, too.

Thanks for the info great help!

Use a short leader and tippet. I use a 6' 3wt and have my leader and tippet combined not to exceed 5 feet. Cast 10 feet or less which means you need to use stealth to sneak up on each possible holding spot. 5 feet of fly line and 5 feet of leader and tippet. Use 7x tippet. Larger dry flies (12 and 14s) and small nymphs (20 to 24s). 2 casts per holding spot, then move on. I always will fish upstream rather than downstream. No mending needed since there is no drag. On small streams only have the fly on the water for a few seconds, then cast again. If no strike on the second cast, move on. Do no let the fly drift since it will only tangle in rocks, twigs, branches ect.

10November wrote:
Use a short leader and tippet. I use a 6' 3wt and have my leader and tippet combined not to exceed 5 feet. Cast 10 feet or less which means you need to use stealth to sneak up on each possible holding spot. 5 feet of fly line and 5 feet of leader and tippet. Use 7x tippet. Larger dry flies (12 and 14s) and small nymphs (20 to 24s). 2 casts per holding spot, then move on. I always will fish upstream rather than downstream. No mending needed since there is no drag. On small streams only have the fly on the water for a few seconds, then cast again. If no strike on the second cast, move on. Do no let the fly drift since it will only tangle in rocks, twigs, branches ect.

Don't know where to begin with this one other than there's a lot of bad advice.

10november wrote;

Yes, this is an odd suggestion to answer the OP of what is a good rig for streamer fishing. It kind of sounds like a bastardized version of Czech nymphing but with a very short 6' rod. Maybe the poster wanted to put his comment on stealthy brook trout fishing in tiny 6' wide creeks. Anyway the post has no real meaningful info relative to streamer fishing.

Personally I would use a #6 weight rod and if you are going to fish streamers more often than anything else I would buy a dedicated streamer tip line. The first 10' - 15' sink which is nice when fishing streamers and yet it is still easy to lift out of the water to make your next cast.

Regarding your leader; as others have said you don't need to change your entire leader anytime you change from big to small flies or from wet flies to dry flies. I used to do as most guys do, buy a 7 1/2' - 9' tapered leader and then add 3' - 4' feet of tippet to the end of the leader with a blood knot. The trouble with this is every time you change the tippet the end of the tapered leader gets at least 3" - 4" shorter. When you have changed your tippet four times the tapered leader is now 12" -16" shorter than when it was when new. It is hard to join two pieces of monofilament when there is more than 2X sizes difference between them.

About three years ago I saw an ad in a magazine about a gadget called "Tippet Rings". They are very tiny metal rings no more than 1/16" in diameter and there is a hole in them. They are so light that I use them with my dry fly set-ups and the ring won't even break the surface tension of the water. They are available on Ebay. Just type in "Tippet Rings".

What you do is when you attach your new leader you cut off about 18" from the bottom of the new leader and attach, with a clinch knot the end of the main leader to the tippet ring. Then attach the cut off piece to the tippet ring. Now when ever your tippet has become too short to fish anymore you just cut off the remnant of tippet and add a new tippet of whatever "X" you want of 2" -4' long. Now you only need one leader all season long and separate spools of various X size tippet.

Here is a link to the Tippet Rings; http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Micro-Tippet-Rings-2mm-O-D-Clip-included/131914502075?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D4d473c0be5364b36a5fa83da893dad1d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291674643448

I agree, bad advice for streamer set up. I thought I was answering a question on small streams. Sorry.

Everyone has there own style, method to streamer fishing it doesn't have to be complicated and expensive.

You can be as simple as a 6,8,10 lb piece of mono as the leader and all depends on the size of water of these methods.

Expensive part can be the streamers you want if you want meaty streamers its good to know a guy that ties them

I'm glad 10november cleared up his reasoning...good advice for small stream brookie fishing, bad advice for streamer fishing!!! It was all sounding good until 7x!!! Which reminded me. I once watched AKDan76 land a 20+" brown on 7x throwing a streamer. We were sight fishing to some larger trout. In the heat of the moment must've switched from a midge to a large streamer and never took the time to change tippet. It happens. As much as we talk about the ideal situation here on this board, a lot of times we try some wacky set ups and end up catching fish.

Streamer fishing! Love it!

You don't need a long leader at all - you don't need a tapered leader necessarily either. This shortest leader you can get away with IMO is the best leader for fishing a streamer.

Rather than cutting down a new leader, I re-use the the butt section (maybe the first 4 feet of the heavy section) of a used up tapered leader- I'll tie a tippet ring to that, then tie typically 3x or heavier tippet off of the ring (or tiny swivel, wanna try that sometime) to my streamer. I tend to have the tippet maybe 2 feet, making my streamer leader around 6 feet total or so, as a starting point. That's just me though, everyone's got their jam. Sometimes I go shorter, sometimes longer. It all depends, but just remember short leaders are more suited for streamer fishing!

Back