streamer rods

L

lycoflyfisher

I am sure this topic has been thoroughly discussed on here, but I have not been able to track down any of the threads. I am considering getting a 6-8wt rod primarily for streamer use for trout. It will also get some small mouth use on the west branch. I know that typically a fast action rod is recommended for streamer use, but I would also like this set up to be usable for a variety of conditions if/ when I get to take a trip out west. Am I wrong for mainly looking at 6 weights or should I be looking heavier? I currently have several 5wt set ups, but would not call any of them a true fast action rod.

A good, fast 9'0 6wt is a great jack of all trades rod. It's my primary WW/Smallie rod, and big water Trout rod for streamers. In a pinch it has fished a sulphur hatch before and although it wouldn't be my first choice necessarily, it did fine, and I caught fish. I don't nymph a ton, but when I do, it's what I use too.

The 7 or 8 weights will clearly handle bigger streamers better, but they will likely struggle doing anything else Trout fishing related.

I have to disagree here.

Fast action or slow action matters not really. It's the line that carries the streamer. You can fish a heavy(line weight) slow action rod with streamers, very very well.
A NOS vintage graphite will be slower. The 7/8 wts "feel" like a 5wt and can land and cast more delicate flies generally used in trout fishing very softly. Yet they can rocket out a streamer.

Of course of you like fast action then buy that, I was just pointing out as a devoted streamer guy that likes fullflex rods, that it's a myth that you need a fast action to fish streamers well.
It's all in how you cast.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I have to disagree here.

Fast action or slow action matters not really. It's the line that carries the streamer. You can fish a heavy(line weight) slow action rod with streamers, very very well.
A NOS vintage graphite will be slower. The 7/8 wts "feel" like a 5wt and can land and cast more delicate flies generally used in trout fishing very softly. Yet they can rocket out a streamer.

Of course of you like fast action then buy that, I was just pointing out as a devoted streamer guy that likes fullflex rods, that it's a myth that you need a fast action to fish streamers well.

No doubt pick the best rod that fits you casting style and preferences. You can make a slow or slower action rod that is designed to flex into the butt section with slower acceleration and stop work for streamer fishing.

But most rods in the heavier weight classes tend to be on the faster side and that's for good reasons. A faster rod flexes mostly at the tip and flexes further down the blank when casting a longer line with more weight and/or more acceleration and stop.

If one is choosing a rod for a certain purpose, streamer fishing in this case, it's best to try to match the rod to the intended type to fishing to be done. Streamer fishing usually involves longer casts with heavier and often more wind resistant flies than normal trout fishing. Also, to fish streamers effectively, it is often necessary to cast a sinking line.

In both cases, choosing a faster rod than you may prefer to use in your regular trout fishing may work better for casting streamers. A faster rod will handle more line in the air because it has more flex left in the blank, while a slower rod rod may get maxed out of flex at a shorter distance.

In addition, casting a sinking or sink tip line is not the same as casting the floating line you use on most streams. In just about every case, a faster rod with a more power butt works better for casting sinking lines or weighted poly leaders along with bigger heavier flies.

Another benefit of a faster rod is being able to cast a tighter loop, which helps you cast in the windy conditions more likely to be encountered in larger and more open rivers and streams.

Hopefully you test cast a rod before choosing one. I suggest you check it out with a good sized streamer (cut off the hook point) and a sinking tip line, if that is what you will be actually be casting on the stream or river. You will be surprised how doing this changes your approach to buying a rod, even if you prefer rods on the slower side for regular trout fishing.

And last, when streamer fishing a heavier tippet is used. Also (hopefully) you will be tangling with bigger fish. In addition, you will likely be fishing a bigger streams and rivers which tend to be deeper and with more current. As a general rule, a more powerful rod with a stiffer butt is a better tool for fighting big fish with a heavy tippet in deeper water with heavy current.

The long and short, test out your rod with the rig (line and flies) you plan to fish and try casting with them the distances you need to hit to fish effectively.

Finally, I am not saying you need to fish a broomstick with guides, just that a faster rod than you would normally choose for trout fishing, may serve you better for streamer fishing.

The bonus is the rod should be a great when you decide to slum it.... and fish for smallies. :oops:

Tom,

I'm really not following you here.

I can spool 90' of fly line with a T14 shooting head on 8wt line with a sculpin 5" Long and very heavy with 0x tippet. The rod is a vintage hardy that flexes to the butt. It's a great large river trout/smallie rod. It was designed for sea trout in england.

Additionally, I have never had any issues fighting fish with any of my fullflex 8wts, I've caught carp up to 25lbs on them.

I just don't get how a fast action rod is better suited, simpily because it's faster, unless that is the fisherman's preference.
OTHER than the wind as you pointed out. However, ive had little issue with this on the Susquehanna, I find it to be mostly a big factor.
It's a total myth, IMO.
To each his own

I guess you could install a roof with a jeweler's hammer, but it's not the tool I'd use for the job. For my streamer fishing (and my summer smallie fishing) I've been using a 9'6" Hydros 2 6 saltwater 6 weight (tip flex). I used to fish streamers with a mid-flex rod (back when I only had a mid-flex rod), so I agree that it can be done, I just don't think I'd do it on purpose if I had a better rod for the technique. And if I was purchasing a rod for streamers, I'd definitely give more consideration to a faster action.

Get an 8 wt. You will be tying bigger and bigger streamers and chasing bigger and bigger fish. Don't bother with a 6wt.

Tom,

I'm really not following you here.

I can spool 90' of fly line with a T14 shooting head on 8wt line with a sculpin 5" Long and very heavy with 0x tippet. The rod is a vintage hardy that flexes to the butt. It's a great large river trout/smallie rod. It was designed for sea trout in england.

Additionally, I have never had any issues fighting fish with any of my fullflex 8wts, I've caught carp up to 25lbs on them.

I just don't get how a fast action rod is better suited, simpily because it's faster, unless that is the fisherman's preference.
OTHER than the wind as you pointed out. However, ive had little issue with this on the Susquehanna, I find it to be mostly a big factor.
It's a total myth, IMO.
To each his own

Here is the first line in my post:

No doubt pick the best rod that fits your casting style and preferences. You can make a slow or slower action rod that is designed to flex into the butt section with slower acceleration and stop work for streamer fishing.

I have no doubt you can spool your line with your vintage Hardy Sea Trout Rod. The fact is there are few anglers that can spool a line with any rod or setup. You're a really good caster.

All I can you do is give people advice on how to select a rod. The big take-away from my post should be:

Hopefully you test cast a rod before choosing one. I suggest you check it out with a good sized streamer (cut off the hook point) and a sinking tip line, if that is what you will be actually be casting on the stream or river.

From my experience working with anglers looking to choose a heavier weight rod than they cast for trout, a faster rod seems to work better for most (but certainly not all). Faster action heavier rods outsell full-flex rods by a wide margin. Again I'm not talking about a broomstick with guides, I'm talking about a rod that may be faster than the small stream trout rod carried by many anglers.

Just give different action rods a try, rigged up like you will when you fish, and pick the one the works best. It's really as simple as that.

You did the above and chose a full-flex rod. Many others prefer faster rods for flinging streamers. No big deal either way. We all catch fish and have fun doing it.

I have to disagree here.

I'm with you. When I'm casting heavy metal, I prefer a slower rod that casts a nice open loop to keep the fly away from my head. I also want something with some "give" in the tip to act as shock absorber when fishing downstream. I miss/lose too many fish with fast action rods.

This is for trout and smallmouth in rivers. I might feel differently fishing the salt or where heavy wind were the norm or if I were chasing fish with particularly bony mouths. As it is, though, a seven weight slow action (preferably glass) is my preference.

I use almost all moderate action rods, and most are pretty old. With that said for someone to have one streamer rod, I'd go with fast action 9' 7wt. If you are throwing huge flies, fast action 9' 8wt.

If you prefer a moderate action rod, get a 9' 7wt moderate action. I think the fast action rod is easier to get the hang of casting and will have a larger "sweet spot" for your timing to get a decent cast. You can still bomb line out with a slower rod, but the "sweet spot" is a much smaller window to hit. Hard to explain.

At the end of the day, for me a fast vs moderate rod gives me minimal casting gains, and the moderate rod protects lighter tippet better. I have a super fast 9' 7wt - Edge, and a more moderate 9' 7wt, Sage SP, and I prefer the SP.

Don't go to light and you'll be fine no matter what you choose.

moon1284 wrote:

If you prefer a moderate action rod, get a 9' 7wt moderate action. I think the fast action rod is easier to get the hang of casting and will have a larger "sweet spot" for your timing to get a decent cast. You can still bomb line out with a slower rod, but the "sweet spot" is a much smaller window to hit. Hard to explain.

It may be just a case of what you're used to. I find the timing to be much more critical with a fast rod; I have to concentrate on every cast. A slower rod is more forgiving. I know exactly what you mean by the "sweet spot", but for me it's larger with a moderate action rod, probably because that's what I've mostly fished for 50+ years and the muscle memory is there. (As it is undoubtedly for you with the faster action.)

Don't go to light and you'll be fine no matter what you choose.

Agreed.

I use a fast action 8wt for streamers.

I prefer a fast action rod. It's like having a fast car... I can slow a fast car down from the seat, but I can only make a slow car so fast from the seat.

The OP said:

. I know that typically a fast action rod is recommended for streamer use, but I would also like this set up to be usable for a variety of conditions if/ when I get to take a trip out west.

So it sounded like to me he was considering a moderate action rod as a possibility, but wasn't sure. Likely because every article, TOM, ****, & harry touts fast action rods as the only option when streamer fishing.
So I gave my take.

Faster action heavier rods outsell full-flex rods by a wide margin

Maybe at the stores but all things considered, vintage tackle is sold daily also and most of that is online in forums, eBay etc and most of those are not fast action rods. I think it's more even than you think.
Still, when guys at the shops do nothing but tout fast action, yeah I'm sure the do outsell moderate to fullflex rods. I mean if you won't ever recommend them, why would they sell? Moreover why would the manufactures make them?

I mean you just made a pcray length post on why fast action is better for streamer fishing than moderate action rods ;-)

All I can you do is give people advice on how to select a rod.

Just give different action rods a try, rigged up like you will when you fish, and pick the one the works best. It's really as simple as that.

Which we both did and we kind of both said the samething about preference. Mine was just minus the 15 paragraphs on why a faster action is "better". :lol:

Red,
I bet you would love my lamiglas 8'6" 7wt. It's just like you described and is a beast of a meat chucker.

Bottomline is get one you like , better yet love!
If you just buy what you think others think you should, it will sit in the tube while you fish something else.

Bottomline is get one you like , better yet love!
If you just buy what you think others think you should, it will sit in the tube while you fish something else.

This is good advice on just about anything.

Unfortunately, too many times we (well I, at least) can't put a fly rod through its paces realistically by test casting on a lawn. I need to fish it, just like I need to carry a gun in the woods, hunt with my bow, tow with my trucks and track my cars. Sometimes we have to try and gather all we can from those with opinions we trust and compare to the situations we already know.

My tastes in riddance has changed and changed back and again over 30+ years of flyfishing. Find something you like, that feels good and makes it easier to present the fly as you intend to. But that.

Less filling, tastes great.

And leave yourself enough money for gas.

There are a lot of articles to read about choosing a fly rod for streamers. I Googled streamer rods and posted below. Try to cast as many as possible before making your choice.

Yellowstone Angler 6wt Shoot-out

https://troutsflyfishing.com/info/blog/post/streamer-school-part-2

http://duranglers.com/streamer-fishing-a-beginners-guide/

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gear_reviews/sage-bolt-rocks-my-streamer-box/

https://www.tellurideangler.com/news/3/How-to-Choose-a-Fly-Rod.html

Orvis rod action selection

https://www.vailvalleyanglers.com/blog/brody/understanding-fly-rod-actions

I feel the ideal streamer rod has a fast tip which gives you a fast hook set and allows you to manipulate the streamer better. The mid section should be med or med/fast which allows you to open up your casting loop a little especially when casting sinking lines and flies with lead eyes etc. The butt should be more on the stiff side.

I use a 30 year old Orvis Western 8'9" 7wt

I have 2 primary streamer rods and both are up to the task of fishing large flies. One is a 9' 7 weight Cortland Black Diamond IM6 rod. A slower action rod. It is a bit on the heavy side. My son now uses it. The other is an 8'-6" 8 weight custom rod that was built on a Dale Clemmons blank that I won at a TU banquet. It is a stiff, strong rod. I can still throw some heavy artillery a long way with that rod.

So, there are 2 very different actions that do the job well.

I think it's definately your style/taste/what you like.
without a doubt, it's your "right tool for the job."

Not Claiming Expert(but a bit of a Poke) - I built custom spin rods for 50+ years.
It is easier for spin fisherman to learn to fly cast using a fast rod.
I immediately realized this after using my 1st fast flyrod.
I have a Fenwick 7 HMG moderate rod - My 1st. I tried to learn to flycast using it and it drove me nuts. I hated it. Kept me from fly fishing for 10 years. Now I like it !(???)

I'm still searching for that sweet spot but that's because I havn't experimented much.
I primarily fish Delaware river - big water/strong currents sometimes.

I have a BVK 8wt for american shad & stripers. Fits perfectly for what I want to do.
It will certainly heave big flys, but it feels too heavy/bulky for smallmouths.

My Style
I don't like to play a fish. I enjoy the strike and a 2-3 minute fight then I want him off.
I also want more control of the fight in current.
I need more distance(40-50ft) without blowing out my shoulder.

I had(broke) a 5/6 fastish rod I really liked.
So now I'm thinking fast 6wt and shooting head.
I'd be interested in hearing from those using this set up fishing the same conditions.

Back