Streamer rods?

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I am looking to get a streamer rod but I don't want to break the bank and am up in the air over a 6 or 7 weight. What length and weight would best serve the purpose of fishing the Delaware (both branches and main), Lackawaxen, Lackawanna, and other local waters. I had the opportunity to use a 796, 690, and 896 this past weekend and the 8 seemed way overkill on the D. The 6 and 7 seemed great but what would be the better choice overall. I would spool one spool with sink tip and the other with wf floating on the other for the reel to match this rod. I would like to keep the rod under $200...any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I am going to toot the horn of one of our sponsors. Shadow. I won a Shadow Warrior 9 ft 7wtf and have been pretty happy with it. The price is good and you can use this rod for steelhead as well.

A 6wt rod is going to be not enough for those big articulated streamers.

I showed you my starter level ser up. Rod $60 on clearance, Rio DC sink tip in two different sink rates. Got those on clearance as well and had $115 invested for rod and 2 lines. Stick a reel on and you're good to go. I wish it was a bit faster action on the rod. The slower action might make it easier to cast but not great for picking up a lot of line.

You should be fine with 9', 9'6" or 10' models. Would the only purpose be streamers for bass and trout?

I would love if it could crossover for steelhead besides trout and bass. So you think 7 or 6 Kray? Would the length benefit much with streamers?

Becker,

That Warrior looks awesome...the reviews are good too!

Shadow rod is great I've been fishing one for about a year and a half, love it. It comes with a spare tip section also

I look at this way. Match your rod to the sz I the fly your throwing and how efficiently you throw it. Don't buy a 6 or 7 wt because that's what wt trout streamers are "supposed" to be. If you can throw a 8 effectively with out killing yourself. It would probably be better than casting a fly on rod with a fly that's too heavy for the rod and line to turn over.

A 6wt rod is going to be not enough for those big articulated streamers.

Depends what you define as big.

I toss #2/#6 articulated streamers and 5" bunny leeches with my 9' 6wt all the time, no problem.

Big-Bass wrote:
I would love if it could crossover for steelhead besides trout and bass. So you think 7 or 6 Kray? Would the length benefit much with streamers?

My favorite stick is a 10' 7wt, and it is the most versatile rod I fish. Trout with bigger streamers, big river bass, steelies; all the type of fish and fishing you mentioned.

It really depends on the rod you choose. I like my 10 footer because it casts well for me at all distances, mends and handles a lot of line easily and roll casts very well, too.

Find a rod that casts and fishes well for you and stick with it.

You can cast em on a 6wt but it might be easier on a 8 is what I'm saying. But I also 99% of my fishing time is spent with a 10/11 wt salt rod.

Agree with Tom. Longer rod may help contol line if steelie fishing or for wade fishing. Out of a boat, any length is fine.

6wt is fine for steelie fishing, smaller bass flies and most trout streamers. If you are crossing over to the darkness and chucking articulated junk or hit SR, 7 weight will make life easier.

If you plan on big bucket mouths, salmon or stripers, you may want to go 8, 9 or 10 wt.

I have the warrior 9ft 7wts coming back in stock in the next week or two. They have a slightly thicker handle this time around but only by .5cm. This will allow the cork to last even longer and the feel is just perfect. Still the slim design and not much change.

I also have some huge additions coming soon and a have been building a new website.

I have been working on a reel design for some time now and it will be available in November. All WFF line sizes will be available and I have moved the manufacturing to Canada. The lines are top notch and I can still offer them at an awesome price.

Send me an email at info@shadowflyfishing.com and I will give you a nice deal on a warrior 7wt.

The new warrior 9ft 7wt price is $250. These changes will take place in the next few weeks in time for our Steelhead season.

Thanks!

Mike

Back