Streamer rod

P

Paul6.5

Howdy All,
For the last few decades I have been anti streamer. I had always said if I was going to fish that way I would just use a spinning rod. Recently I had my mind changed when I saw first hand how effective it was on larger trout.

I recently bought a 1980s Sage GFL 790 RPL that was never used at a garage sale for $50.

I would appreciate any feedback\comments about using this rod for streamers.

Reactions: CRB
Allegedly these were great streamer rods. You can throw some decent sized streamers with that. Sounds like a good deal.

That's a good rod for streamers. A 7 wt as heavy as I personally would go. You can cast some decent size streamers with it. I use a 7 wt for med to large streamers, but mostly use a 5 wt for small streamers where I fish. you can also use it for dry, and nymphs .

Allegedly these were great streamer rods. You can throw some decent sized streamers with that. Sounds like a good deal.
I was pretty happy about the deal I. Have an old Teton reel for it and will pick up some line for it soon.

That should be a great rod for chucking streamers. One of the best graphite rods ever made. Although 6 and 5 weight rods will work fine with streamers, a 7 weight covers all the bases for most trout and bass fishing. Great find!

That’s a great rod and a smoking deal. The action on that model is great. Dang good stick for large dries.

Back