Streamer Rod?

flyflinger7

flyflinger7

Im looking to purchase a dedicated streamer rod. I currently have TFO Pro's in a 9' 5wt and 7wt. I also have Rio Streamer tip in 150, 200, and 250 Grain. I will be using 3' to 7" streamers. This will be used both from a boat and wade fishing. I am considering the following rods:

TFO BVK - 9' 7wt
TFO Clouser - 7wt
Redington Predator
9' 7wt or 6wt (not sure witch would be better for the line I have)
Redington Torrent - 9' 7wt

I don't know it all, but I do know I am in love with the Helios 2 salt collection for streamer fishing - from the boat. I have the 9' 7wt and the 9' 6 wt. They are light, tough, and awesome for throwing the big stuff and heavy lines. My advice, unless you are fishing real deep water or specific situations, you can just fish a lighter wet tip or even a floating lines with most streamers, especially from the boat. they are a heckuva lot easier to throw and don't impact much since the fly line has little impact on the first several strips in a streamer situation - which is where u most likely will get the action.

Additionally, another great streamer rod for the money, IMO, is the Redington Predator. I have the 7'10" 6wt and have gotten many good years out of it. It is a great "close-quarters" rod....

I have the TFO BVK in a 9.5 ft 7 wt. It is now my go to streamer rod. I'm sure the 9 footer would perform similarly.

I have a 10 wt bvk for surf and is a cannon. really good rod at a good price.

Predator

I use the 7'11" 8 wt with Rio Outbound Short for big trout streamers and bass fishing. Lean mean streamer chucking machine. If I'm pounding the banks, thats my go to

For bigger water I use a 9 ft Helios 2, same line

I'll chime the same thing as some others....

The Predator comes in 7'11" & 9' models. For wade fishing, that little extra length will be helpful. I don't see it hurting you from a boat either. I understand the Predators are massively stiff and need a shooting head type of line or overlined.

I'll contradict alby's BVK suggestion with a TICRx or Axiom recommendation. More backbone for picking up line.

I agree with krayfish on the predator.

I owned the 9' 7wt, very fast, stiff rod. When paired with outbound short I/S6 it loaded well and I could easily place a 7" streamer where I wanted at 30'-40'. However, I felt the only drawback was short range casts; loss of accuracy.

Ended up selling it and buying a 9' 7wt bank robber. It has a softer mid section that allows it to load easier for those short range casts and impart better movement on the fly.

If its only for streamers I'd look for a used Sage XP or Redington CPS - both are stiff backed with a soft tip.

The only streamer specific rod I own is a St. Croix Bank Robber 6wt. I have the Streamer Express 200 grain 50 ft sink tip Scientific Anglers line. I will be getting a second spool for my BVK reel to put a floating version of the same line.

I have other cheaper 8wt rods…but hey do not compare. I do not have specific lines on those.

Thanks for all the input. I will be fishing Pine Creek, Allegheny, and Clarion River. Average cast being 20-20'. I already have an Allens Trout 5/7 and spare spools with Rio Streamer tip 24' DC in 150,200, and 250 grain. I am down to buying a streamer specific rod of a 9' 7wt Redington Predator and a Steelhead rod of a Sage VXP 10' 7wt or combo Streamer/Steelhead of a Sage One 9'6" 7wt.

Just a FYI, that predator in a 6 wt will be more than able to handle the 7 wt sink tip. If you buy the 7 wt model, be prepared to chuck hard or buy new line (8 Wt).

If you're looking for a streamer/steelhead rod see if you can find a used sage z-axis or xp

got a nice custom 9' 6 wt. here for 200.00. made for pine creek.

I have decided to go with the Predator in a 9' 6wt. I am also going to try the Rio Outbound short in a S3 and S6. Should I get that in a 6wt or 7wt?

I don't want to steer you wrong but I think you'll find 7wt in a streamer tip works better than a 6wt on that rod. I don't have enough experience with the 'short' or a shooting head. I'll suggest you call Rio since they are linked to sage and ask for tech dept. Tell them your intended use and that you'd like a line suggestion.

If you are going to pick up, haul and shoot (up to 30'-50'), you might find the 7wt loads the rod better in close. I've overlined my rods because I want to feel it bend deeper into the blank to help timing. You may or may not prefer that feeling.

If you're going with the outbound short I would go with the 6wt line IMO. Outbound lines are already heavier than AFTMA standards.

For example, on my 7wt, I run outbound short 7wt s6, which has a head weight of 265. A "standard" AFTMA 7wt line weighs 185 +/- 8

I spoke with a Rio tech and he did not recomend over lining the predator with outbound short, streamertip or the sink tip 15' lines.

First...go cast a bunch of rods at a shop! I do and it's like going and buying a car or truck. Tell the guy selling it to shut up and use it like you would own it.... Shop wisely...find what you like, get the deal and buy it. I cast streamers with winston 3wts and sage 8 wts... it's all about the zen man!

Thats why Im here, TFO and Redington dealers are 4+ hrs, Sage 1hr. There is not a shop near me that carries more than one brand of rod. At this point I am going with the Predator in a 9'6wt and Rio sink tip Line, I have the line narrowed done to 2.

Sink tip 15' DC

Type 3 and 6

6wt - head weight - 160 gr.
7wt - head weight - 185 gr.

Streamer tip (10')

6wt - head weight - 235 gr. (Rio Tech reomended this line).
7wt - head weight - 265 gr.

Type I and 6 (wish it came in a Type 3)

Average cast being 20-20'.

All this talk about a dedicated streamer rod to do that? Seems to me that this is over complicating matters.

For river fishing with depths up to 10 feet take your 6wt rod with your floating line, remove leader and add 3 to 4 feet of 20lb mono with a loop connection for the butt leader. Then take a length of 20lb lead core line anywhere from 2 to 5 feet long. (Tip - carry several lengths). Make loops on both end of lead line, attached to butt leader and add 3 foot tippet section.

Fish it. Simple. It works. It gets flies down quickly. The heavier lead core line also helps bulkier flies cut through the wind.

Back