Streamer Rod?

drews

drews

Ok, Im in need of a streamer rod. I have been using a 10' Zero G / Helios... and on the river(s) Im fishing this is a little long and with the bigger streamers its literally a chuck (wiz by the head) then duck... Im looking for suggestions on rods, here is what I have looked at, but have nothing to go on other then the info on the rod sites...
-Bank Robber
-TFO (BVK, Clouser)

Any all suggestions/info is greatly appreciated! I would like the bank robber, but its 200 more then a TFO

Thanks

What weight? For stricktly streamer fishing you want something fast for heavy sinking lines. Thats my opinion.

Im thinking 7 wt, thats what I been using... I am looking for anyone who has used these rods or similar and suggestions... I will be using a full sink line (I had been using sink tip but snapped it on a float on Sunday, used buddy's full sink worked great)

thanks

The bvk is an awesome rod. my buddy has one in i believe 6 wt. its his streamer rod and i know he loves it. my vote is for the bvk

A cheaper alternative is the Redington Predator Rod. We run a couple of these and they are great for short cast streamer fishing from the boat. They are designed as the 7'10" bass tourney rods, but are great for throwing meat, especially on some of the tight rivers that we drift.

Redington Predator

i have the 2 TFOs you mentioned... BVK and clouser

clouser is more of a streamer rod... i like it

Again thanks to all
-I will look into the Redington, although 7' 10" seems a little short...

@Ramcatt-- I fished a TFO professional Rod Sunday (a buddy's rod) it seemed to be pretty fast action... Clouser Similar you think?

Other suggestions welcomed... Anyone for the bank robber?

its a TFO
its fast... but with a different flex pattern
and i think faster recovery

i have a clouser 10... and have only fished the "professional" in 5 and 6... so my comparison might not be the best

i have not thrown a dry line on my clouser... just sinks and shooting heads... but it will clear a line

Don't be afraid of the short rod!...:)

We throw a couple different versions of the 7'10" rods and they are great. You can bomb casts, even on big water like the DE.

If you are looking to streamer fish on exclusively bigger water then I'd suggest a 9' rod, like the Robber. But if you are going to spend time on a lot of smaller streams and even medium sized rivers, you can't go wrong with the 7'10" rod. They are easily good for making average casts of 20'-30'

TDB is right about the predator. That is a great streamer rod

An old streamer nut here-fast action.
also you want the wt. for the biggest flies you intend to use.
If you are really serious about streamer fishing than its a 2 rod deal.
7 wt. or 8 wt. 9 footer for 2 and larger weighted streamers and 6wt. 8.5 or 9 for the smaller streamers worked for me as a wade fisherman.Boats you can go lighter as you usually aren't making long casts.
Streamer fishing you want the fly in the water not waving around in the air drying,so double haul is the name of the game.zap,zap.-beefy rod helps.lol

I was casting a bank robber 7 wt yesterday at somerset. It takes some getting use to. It is listed as a fast rod. Well the TCX is a fast rod. The bank robber cast like a cane rod to me. Once I slowed it down the thing really shot line. I had no weight either. I will probably pick one up just to play, it will be a 6 wt. I think if you are looking for something that specific you should cast as many as possible with the line you plan on using. I would ask to cast one with some weight on it.

Thanks to all for your input. I have a 6 wt that I use while wading with smaller stuff and have decided to go with the clouser for a few reasons. I think it will do great with the bigger junk based on your info and what I've read. Thanks again

Back