streamer rod

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

What do you look for in a streamer specific rod? I'm thinking of getting one to mainly toss streamers on trout streams either wading or on a drift boat. Potentially use it for lakes too.

I have a TFO TICR 9ft 8wt that I love, but it can get a bit heavy after a day of fishing.

Preference on rod weight, length and action?

I'll probably be in the market in the next month or so. Suggestions can be made for specific models, but just looking for what aspects you look for in a rod just for streamers.

6 or 7wt. Medium fast.

I tend to prefer the 6 in the east, 7 here. I really need to get a 7.

For med sized streams I use my 8wt. Same with the larger streams/rivers. For smaller streams I just use a 4 wt w a shooting head. I have found if you do single handed spey type casts your arms shoulders wont be bothering you so bad. I don't own one yet but i think a 11 ft switch rod that will fling a 325 grain head would be great...Eliminate back casting saves expensive streamers.
Just my 2 $ worth. I do have the orvis frequent flyer and it is stiff as a broom w a 8 wt shooting head...I do seem to prefer a action that is a medium/fast action....The orvis rod is a little fast for me but it does the job.

I wouldn't go the shooting heads or switch route for a boat rod. If it was exclusively for wading, sure.

Really, you want separate boat and wading rods for streamers. A 9 foot medium fast does both well enough.

8wt is a bit heavy for me all day. I go w/ a 6wt if I think I'm gonna be chucking streamers all day. I rarely feel the need to go for a specific streamer rod though, and usually am satisfied w/ how my 5wt performs.

I guess it would depend on the size of streams you plan to use it on and the size and weight of the flies. I use a 7wt because of fishing the D with articulated heavy streamers.

Word. I've never done that kind of meat slinging (yet).

If you are going with size 2 weighted streamers or slightly heavier/bulkier- 9 foot 8wt.fast action is a glove fit[not OJs].
9 foot 6 or 7 wt. fast action nice companion for smaller.
Double haul fishing .

Anyone tried out the St Croix Galloup Bank Robber?

My brother has the Bank Robber, I must say I was impressed with it. Though I haven't fished it all day to even begin a review, the little I did cast it was smooth and lightweight.

JH

so when in a drift boat, is length an issue? Should the rod be shorter to quickly punch out line or just your typical 9' rod?

I like my 9' 6 weight Loomis GL3 if I know I am going to fish mainly streamers. That rod has good backbone to throw a heavy rig.

ryguyfi wrote:
so when in a drift boat, is length an issue? Should the rod be shorter to quickly punch out line or just your typical 9' rod?

I use the same rod as WTT. A 9' 6wt GL3. It's good for 95% of the casts I make out of the boat, but when I need a long second chance cast at a missed fish, or we lose the bank, it just doesn't cut it.

Also, wind sucks out here.

I find myself using the 6wt for nymphing in the wind, and in need of a 7wt for streamers. The bank robber is nice, but I may go cheaper since it is pretty much chuck and duck fishing with streamers most of the day.

Fishing streamers out of the boat is like a side scroll video game. You're pretty close to the bank, and just try to chuck it deep into good looking structure. I usually just do a chuck and duck style cast with a relatively stout rod.

For most medium size streams, I like the 9' 6 wt, Sage VT2 for most of my streamer fishing. Loaded with a DT-6-F line, I can cast a #2 weighted streamer without difficulty. When there is little room for a back cast, or my arm gets tired, I can easily single spey cast with this rig. I also carry a reel with a quick sink tip line for chucking unweighted streamers.
I fished this rod on the Bighorn in MT and it worked fine. Furthermore, this rod is not very expensive.

The redington predator 6 wt is a great streamer rod if you want something smaller and lighter. Not expensive and has a lifetime warranty.

I don't think an 8 wt is out of line if you throw big stuff though, especially from a boat. You'll be worn out the first few times out, but you'll get used to it.

I like for small to mid-size streams a classic 7’6” 5 wt. and large streams an 8’10 7 wt.

v/r

Joe E

Back