Streamer Question

D

Daniel45

Hello.

I have a question about streamer fishing. I liver here in Central Pa. I fish a lot of nymphs on kish creek and spring creek. I was wondering if I could use my six weight floating line for streamers or do I need sink tip. If I can use floating line can someone please give me a idea on what leader to build. Rod is a Sage 9'6 wt. any ideas on leaders would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Thank you Daniel

Absolutely you can use a floating line.... In fact I would recommend it over a sink tip on smaller water like spring.

You don't need a fancy leader... But I would recommend a heavier tipper than you are used to with your nymphyng. The strikes cN be viscious tha will break a lighter tippet. 3x to 0x should be
good.

Thank you David. I appreciate your help

David is right on. No need for a specialized line. Heavier tippet and maybe a couple split shot is all you'll need for Kish and/or spring.

Agree - the floating line is fine for what you have in mind (sink tips are useful for bigger, deeper rivers....but most of the time in PA a regular floating line is all you need).
I like very heavy tippets for streamer fishing, typically in the 12-15 lb test range.

Thanks a lot guys for the help

Also, there is no need for fancy leader setups. when i am strictly fishing streamers, im using straight 12 lb mono to my fly (you can run a small section of tippet if ya want) but always remember, there is absolutely no need for 9' plus leader lengths. if your ever in doubt go shorter. mine usually range from 5-7 feet from the fly line to the streamer.

If you think you would be better suited for a intermediate or sinking line, one trick you can try is to put the tip of your rod under the water during your retrieve. obviously watch where your putting it so that you dont snap the tip off on a rock, but it can help ya get a little deeper.

Yea a 6wt floating line is definitely good for streamers on kish and spring creek. Like everyone else said just use a 3x tapered leader more heavier) or even some straight mono. I like weighted streamers for most of kish and definitely for Spring creek, but if you have some split shot the works too.

One thing I purchased but have yet to try is a sinking poly leader - it's a leader that sinks so it's almost like you're fishing a sink tip. It'd be handy for deep, fast water, or for streamers that don't sink well like the muddler minnow. I just never seem to go out planning to fish just streamers, so I generally just use a regular tapered leader all the time and add heavier tippet at my tippet ring if I switch to a streamer.

you can also add weight to your streamers as you are tying them. lead bodies, dumbbell eyes, cone heads, or go big with jigs. I use different color thread to indicate the weight of the streamer. this way I know which ones are heavier for deeper runs.

I got some 20 & 22 guage colored wire from AC Moore's that I use to add weight as well as some flash to mine. I make my tippets out of vanish.

Short leaders for streamers, no need for anything long than 8 feet, most cases not that long. I always tie on flourocarbon for tippet. Fish the streams you mention, I've fished them a lot with streamers a shorter leader is best, probably 7 feet and under. Weight forward line works fine for most applications, but lead heads will help get the fly down once cold weather comes, you may need that. I don't use split shot, I weight all of my streamers.

Thank you guys for all your help. I appreciate it

A sink tip would be nice for kish actually. Do you need it no but some of the runs are pretty deep and it would help. Or even an intermediate. Spring it's not necessary.

you can also wrap some lead wire around streamer bodies at home,put a little head cement on it.Trout won't notice ,it can be easily removed and you can experiment with how much is right for your waters.

I think that sinking lines are great for big rivers, but on streams like Spring and Kish Creek a floating line and heavily weighted streamer will work just as well. A weighted fly gets deep much more quickly than a sinking line, so if you want to fish a small deep pocket I feel like you can probe it more efficiently with a heavily weighted streamer. I do think you get better hooksets with a sinking line though, especially if you have more than 20-30 feet of line out.

Thanks a lot. You guys are great. I love this forum

Back