Stream Section Numbers

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Does anybody know where I can find a map of the numbered stream sections to match the biologist surveys? The reports will say something like "Section 102" and a short description of length and width. I'd like to find out where the sections were but I'm not sure how to do so.

I've only seen one report so I'm no expert. But in that report, it described the sections at the beginning of the report and then referenced those sections therein.
I dont think streams actually have been "sectioned" out by any agency or organization, Im pretty sure the sections are just relative to the report itself. I could be wrong...

In streams you at least somewhat familiar with (and often most other streams as well...) it usually isn't difficult to figure out the Commission's sectioning rationale. It is more often than not tied to utilization or how a given section of a stream is designated for fishery purposes (stocked or not, special regs, class A, etc.) or to major physical changes to the nature of the stream (an impoundment, junction of a large trib, etc.).

For example, you might have a stream that the PFBC has divided into five sections. Section 1 is unstocked water that does not meet Class a criteria. Section 2 is Class A for a mixed BT/ST population. Section 3 is stocked trout water and ends at the headwaters of an impoundment. Section 4 is stocked trout water from the dam downstream to a point where it is no longer considered suitable for trout stocking due to the junction of a large warmwater trib. Section 5 is from the end of the stocked water down to the mouth.

That's a lot of wind to make a couple of relatively simple points: Special reg areas are almost always their own section. Same with Class A sections. Other section limits are usually defined by the beginning or ending of stocking or significant physical changes to the stream such as dams, large tribs, etc.

I know this isn't the question you asked, but I don't know the answer to that one, so I thought I'd answer this one instead...

In the the reports, they sometimes mention the river mile of the section of the stream that was sampled. They will use the abbreviation RM and then have a number after that represents the distance upstream from the mouth that the sampling site is located. For example, "RM 2.5" means that the sampling site is 2.5 miles upstream from the mouth of the creek. Sometimes they also will give a written description of the location of the sampling site. They might mention that the site is located a certain distance above/below a bridge or known landmark.

Back