Stream Bank Work - Yellow Breeches

F

Fishidiot

Cumberland Valley TU, the PFBC, and some other local organizations are currently conducting a stream bank stabilization project on a popular section of Yellow Breeches (this is outside the reg water) that has long been shallow and suffers bank erosion and side cutting. The photos below show the section targeted for repair work; some of the eroded banks; and the beginning of the back hoe work and placement of timbers. The lower photo shows forum member JPitmann drilling logs for pinning with rebar. When this project is finished I'll post more photos.
DaveW

Attachments

• YB1.jpg
    YB1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 6
  • YB2.jpg
    YB2.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 4
  • YB3.jpg
    YB3.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 5
  • YB4.jpg
    YB4.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 3
  • YB5.jpg
    YB5.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 6
Is that upstream by the park? I've fished there and thought most of the water was pathetically flat and wide, it would be a good fix.

Lots of sections on the Breeches look like that, but from kayaking it about a dozen times there is also some great looking water, downstream of the regs.

I've wanted to explore more upstream though towards Mt. Holley Springs.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
Is that upstream by the park?

Yes, it's South Middleton Park.

Here's the finished work. The stream has been narrowed and the eroded banks either packed with limestone boulders or buried behind the deflectors. A mud sill type structure can also be seen that doesn't stick out into the channel. The double log "frames" help create undercut cover and some randomly placed boulders
in mid-stream help create some cover and current breaks in what had been a featureless gravel stream channel.

Benny says, "There oughta be some trout here soon." :)

Attachments

• YB6.jpg
    YB6.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 3
  • YB7.jpg
    YB7.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 4
  • YB8.jpg
    YB8.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 3
  • YB9.jpg
    YB9.jpg