Stream Bank Fencing

W

Wainzoid

Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I have posted here. I have dropped in and done some reading from time to time. Too many irons in the fire. Still very active in my local club and still fishing when I can. I started dirtfishing a little over a year ago and really got hooked, it has consumed alot of my spare time.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago I noticed that the landowner, who owns one of the better stretches along upper Clover Creek, was begining to cut trees and clear brush from his meadow. Curious, I stopped and talked to his hired man that was doing the work. He said that they were preparing to pasture cattle there in the spring, this meadow hasn't had cattle in it for 30 yrs probably. It doesnt need cattle destroying the streambank.
I've been out of the loop for awhile and was wondering which agencys still provide streambank fencing? Who has the best deal? I used to know all this stuff, but time (couple yrs) and old age doesnt help me remember. I'm willing to do the leg work to get streambank fencing installed. I think the landowner is very approachable, but doubt that he would foot the bill. Our Sportsmens club could/would probably provide some labor and possibly a little funding, but I havent mentioned it to them yet (next meeting). Which agency should I talk to? At one time some provided material, some labor, and some did both. I know the PGC did alot of it or at least maintained alot of it locally. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

thanx ...duane

You might contact the Blair County Conservation District.
http://www.blairconservationdistrict.org/

I saw on their website that they do offer fencing. And, uhhh, streambank tree planting.

You might also contact Blair County Trout Unlimited. I believe they've been involved in some fencing projects.

Hey Duane, long time no hear....I thought this post was going to be about sword-fighting with fly rods. :-D

Seriously, you want to look int the CREP Program

A few considerations, we just finished a pretty good stretch, They pay for trees and shrubs within the fenced area and the fencing to a point. Depending on the grazing animal. Also, you will need to have the fencing placed a minimum of 35' from the stream bank (belt width).

He will lose alot of grazing land.

I have a landowner looking into another program through the Farm Preservation society (or something like that) We plan to meet with someone next week about fencing. Apparently the restrictions are not as strict. (35') This guy is putting 350 acres of farm into it. No development. He has always been a good neighbor to our Nursery. We just finished a riparian planting on his land in September.

Anyway, I will let you know what comes of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Maurice

As far as I know PGC still does fencing, but we've used contractors for special cases where the fencing needed was for something other than milk cows. So you'll want to ask what type of cows. Fish and Wildlife also does fencing.

TU is currently having a letter writing campaign for the Farm Bill which would benefit streamside preservation/restoration.

Back