Stonfo Airone Travel Vise

T

tctrout

In my newest video, I give a "sneak peek" of a the Stonfo Airone, a travel fly tying vise from the Italian company. This is a really neat vise that has some excellent jaws. I have yet to see all of the vises in the travel category, thus if you own one, feel free to post a picture of it, too.

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPs_16N6dJ4&t=350s[/youtube]

I’ve been using an Anglerhaus Standard Tool Kit travel vise for about the last 10 years. I take it on every weekend or weekly fishing trip and actually tie on it about 16-20 days per year. It works well for me. There is some hook slippage at times that requires a 10 sec adjustment.

It comes in a wooden case 5 x 7.25 x 1.5. The case houses the base and the vise stem which screws into the base. The case also comes with 7 tools that are held in place with elastic. I have replaced the standard set of tools with better quality tools. When I open my case I have the vise, 2 bobbins with thread in place, a stacker, 2 sets of hackle pliers, scissors, bobbin threader, bobbin cleaner, and a whip finish tool. The wooden box containing all of this gear weighs 1.25 lbs. To fit all of that into the case you need to get creative and move things around especially the bobbins since the thread spools are pretty thick. You will soon learn the proper placement for whatever gear you want to carry in the case. But every thing I need to tie flies is right in the case making it very convenient.

I think anyone considering the Stonfo vise may not be pleased with this vise that runs in the $35 range. However I have tied lots of flies in the #4 to #20 range and this vise does the job for me. The base is light and it does occasionally slide if I put too much pressure as I’m wrapping the thread with force but not enough to frustrate me but I am a patient person.

I store this vise case in a clear plastic container from Walmart that has an airtight seal (10.5” H x 14” L x 11.5 W) with all of my hackle, fur, feathers, synthetics, hooks, extra thread, bead heads, lead, and even a small pattern book. After careful observation of what materials I was using on my trips I have shrunk my travel kit to 40% of what I used to carry. With this setup I can tie everything I need to match any current situations with something presentable.

I’d recommend this inexpensive vise to solve the basic need very well. If you feel more comfortable using super quality gear you may not like the Anglerhaus travel vise. I found mine about 10 yrs ago for $20 at the TU Cabin Fever Event in Pittsburgh. They seem to run $35 now.

goes anywhere

renzetti_C2303_traveler_cam_2300_pedestal_lg.jpg

nfrechet wrote:
goes anywhere

renzetti_C2303_traveler_cam_2300_pedestal_lg.jpg

Yeah, me too ^. I've been tying on the same Renzetti Traveler for more than two decades. I used it as my desk vise for all that time and packed it up in my travel kit. I now tie on my desktop with a Stonfo Transformer with interchangeable heads for trying really big flies as well as smaller flies. The Traveler vise now travels with me in my kit.

Back