Stoney Creek

S

Salty

Hello everyone... this is my first post here. I used to visit quite often when the old forum was up but got out of flyfishing for a while due to time contraints.

I'm dusting off the gear & feathers & looking to jump back in!

My question is: I'm heading to Stoney Creek in Dauphin & Lebanon Counties this weekend. It's been quite a few years since I flyfished there. What flies & patterns would be good choices to bring along? I will be fishing there in the am.

I look forward to your replys.

Salty

I've always done better with caddis pupae there than I do anywhere else. I don't know why that is...

I also really like green weenies early in the morning. Crane Flies and terrestrials should be effective this time of year.

Generally speaking though, the fish on Stony are not selective. They are however wary. So move slowly, wear dull colored clothing and keep you casts to a minimum, short and accurate.

Most folks don't go all that far past the gate when the fish in the State Game Lands. And you don't really have to for good fishing. The further in you go, the more likely you can fish in solitude.

Be careful about where you step. Stony has a lot of rattlesnakes and they may be down along the creek sunning on rocks this time of year.

Thanks Padraic,

I have Spin fished Stoney the last couple years & I am quite familiar with the snakes there. Actually, I haven't seen too many the last year or so!
I will be going in a few miles from the Lebanon end so I doubt I will run into many other people.
I'll be sure to stock up on Green Weenies for the trip.

Thanks again!

Back