Stonecat Pattern...

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

Does anyone have a pattern for a stonecat and or know where I might find one? I'm heading up to fish parts of the Juniata River and when we were younger we'd catch all the big fish out of a hole on a big stonecat. I suppose some sort of grayish or brown sculpin might work but I figured I'd see if anyone had any good ideas about it.

Just an FYI for anyone that might not know, a stoncat basically looks like a miniature catfish and big small mouth just love em!

I suppose I answered my own question through a good bit of internet searching. Stonecats are the largest version of small fish called madtoms, which I have found several patterns for. I have never tied these though they are similar to sculpins. Anyone fish these patterns?(madtoms)

For all I know, the sculpins I have tied were so bad they looked like madtoms or stonecats. I would take any advice on fishing sculpins and follow it with the stonecat/madtown pattern you put together. These are probably bottom hugging fish and share behavior patterns with the sculpin.

Their behavior is exactly like the sculpin Jack. When we used to fish em up we'd slowly turn over large rocks and wait to see if we found any then try and net them. They, much like sculpins, just shoot under rocks as they are a nice meal of any larger predator they might come in contact with. I'm gonna do some experimentation with some of these over the weekend and if I come up with something that looks nice I'll post the pattern and recipe for it.

This is someone else's pattern and post from who-knows-when, but here you go:

MAD TOM/STONE CAT
Hook-37187 size 2
Thead- anything bigger than 6/0
Weight- Large dumbbell eyes, .030 lead wire wrapped on front ¾ of shank
Tail/body topping-Magnum zonker strip. I used chinchilla color, but black, olive and dark gray also work poke a hole where you want the hook to go through, thread it through and then tie off the tip after the body is on.
Body- This is a key ingredient that gets this fly down. I use pipe cleaners from the craft store. They have metal inside which is much heavier than normal chenille. I use a tan/black variegated kind. You can also use plain chenille or any dubbing. Just make sure it doesn’t make it more buoy-ant. If you use something else, the fly wont be as heavy
Head-Coyote fur in a spinning/dubbing loop. (I was in Alaska for a family trip last summer. There were tons of furriers there. All of them sold scrap bags for about 3 bucks. The bag fills 3 gallon size Ziploc bags. It had fur of every color, length texture imaginable. I guess some furriers here in the states would have them, I’m sure you can get coyote from a fly shop too.) You can substitute and long fiber for this. I think some synthetics would fit this role nicely. Don’t use wool or deer hair. Deer hair is too buoyant, and wool soaks up too much water and makes this heavy fly even harder to cast

Tying. Tie in the eyes and lead. Tie in the pipe cleaner at the back of the hook and wrap about 2/3 up the shank. Cut a zonker strip to length and poke a hole with bodkin or hook point at the spot the hook should come through. Slip on hook. Tie down tip of zonker over the pipe cleaner. Form a spinning loop. Put coyote hair in and spin. Wrap the “fur chenille” up over and around the eyes to the hook shank and tie off. Viola!

Fishing. This is a heavy fly, use caution when casting. This is not a fly for the 6 wt. I use a rela-tively fast 8 wt for this fly.
Madtoms are a group of fish in the catfish family. They are highly seclusive and generally noctur-nal. Smallmouth find them as a delicacy and will jump all over them. If bait anglers can, they use madtoms. These fish live on the bottom, not at all in the water column. Flies should be fished ac-cordingly.
I find a variety of techniques work on this. I like fishing it in the heads and tails of riffles, just as the deeper water starts. The madtoms live in the riffles and the smallies are waiting for them. I fish it dead drift, with short spurts. Or across or down and across current. Be careful with down-stream presentations with this because it causes the fly to come off the bottom.
This fly has accounted for 2 18”ers for me just this summer. I hope you all have great luck with it too. It is definitely a big fish fly. I don’t catch dinks on it!!

And here's another:

Materials UsedHook: Gamakatsu T10-6H Up-Eye Salmon Hook Size 2 to 5/0Weight: 15 to 20 wraps of .025 lead wire on back 1/3 of shankThread: Flymaster + BlackTail: Cream or White Marabou under Dark Dun or Black Ostrich Herl under Peacock HerlBody: Cream or white Antron yarn – Aunt ydia’s craft yarn is preferredBack: Continuation of the Ostrich and Peacock used for the tailCollar: Spun Black or Dark Dun Deer Body HairHead: Spun Black or Dark Dun Deer Body Hair trimmed wide and flat Tying InstructionsI rarely tie a heavily weighted fly, but I make an exception for this pat-tern. It was meant to be fished on the bottom and its deer hair head will cause it to float if it is not weighted. I like to have this fly just on the heavy side of neutral buoyancy so it sinks slowly and I invariably fish it on a sinking or sink-tip line. I like this fly big and carry it in size 1/0 and size 2. If you have the tackle to cast it, and want to hunt for monsters, fish this fly in size 3/0 or 5/0 late at night or very early in the morning before the sun hits the water.One slight variation I make to the Troth Bullhead is in the color of the deer hair head itself. The original fly used natural gray deer body hair. I have found this fly to be a more effective Mad Tom imitation if I use black or very dark brown deer hair. This is a minor change, but one which can be significant.

I saved these a while back 'cause they looked pretty good. Never have tried them. Sorry if this post is wordy, but I hope it helps. I you try one of these paterns, let us know how they worked.

Here's an easy tie that works:
http://www.danica.com/flytier/lwilliams/modified_shenks_sculpin.htm

John

From having observed dozens of sculpins swimming in western waters I can tell you that nothing but nothing duplicates their movement in the water as well as the old and apparently considered outdated feather winged streamers.Either the light or dark spruce fly[streamer] in a good size for your waters might surprise you.They do have one drawback for nite fishing.They tend to wrap around the hook after some use.You see it in the daylight.Used weighted with a mend cast so it scuttles across the bottom in a natural way it gives the impression of a spooked baitfish.The bigger browns love it but needs to be fished to look natural,not hispeed.

Pete: is this what you're talking about?

Hook - Mustad 9672 or 38941; sizes 4 to 10
Thread - Black
Tail - Four peacock sword strands
Body - Rear 1/3 red floss, front 2/3 peacock herl
Wing - Two furnace hackles
Hackle - Furnace hackle collared and slightly tied back

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fly_pictures/dark_spruce.htm

Yes-be sure and use a good-sized one for the collar-this gives stone cat effect [large head].
You can skip the peacock sword tail.
Thing about sculpins is they have more of an undulating/rippling effect to their frightened way of moving than most baitfish-thats why the feather wing streamers are so good.
Dan Bailey out in Livingstone Mt. taught me if it starts wrapping around the hook to hold body in one hand and bend back the wing feathers with the other.

nothing beats a woolhead or regular muddler in different colors and sizes, this goes for out west too...if you want a mad tom flatten the head more when you trim it...add a black maribou tail for more movement..

for the feather wrapping try tying it matuka style then you wont get the wrapping effect....

I had always heard the spruce fly imitates a brookie. Not that they don't get eaten!! :p

I really like the Spruce streamers but would not be my choice for a sculpin. I also like the wool and deer hair head with a zonker strip. Going to try something new for out west and just wrap a cross cut rabbit strip for the head, will see.

I whipped up what I thought to be a pretty decent pattern for the stonecat/madtom and it turns out the bass thought it was pretty accurate too. I have a few modifications to make and it's not very original but it is a combinations of a few other patterns. The largest smally I caught on it was about 15 in. though if the river wasn't so muddy I think it would have fished much better. I'll post pics and the recipe soon for those who might be interested.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse,here.I can't say about stone cats.
However after thirty years of chasing the big browns of the Upper Missouri and Yellowstone River in Montana,I can assure you that nothing looks more like the sculpins in that area than the light spruce fly when wet.The light tips give it a shimmering live look ,the dark center merges as the body and the tied slightly back collar hackle the big head.No more deadly pattern and works well as a Matuka.
Had to laugh at some of the new patterns they were pushing.

Well pete41 I guess I'll have to give a spruce a try on the Gallatin, any particular size. Haven't really found a consistent slammin streamer for out there but haven't tryed the older patterns.

I fish two versions of the Mad Tom the one from “Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing” Bates and another version with a wool head color to match the stream cats.

Joe E

Well here is the stonecat pattern I tyed up which looks like it could double a sculpin. Not too bad to tie and holds up pretty well after a few fish.

Recipe:
Hook: Streamer hook 12-2 (Mine is a 4)
Thread: 6/0 or thicker of appropriate color (brown)
Weight: Dumbbell or chain eye
Tail and Dorsal: Zonker Strips in center, Mallard flanks on sides (for flattened vertical profile)
Body: Dubbing of appropriate color (gray here)
Pectoral Fins: Appropriately trimmed deer hair
Head: Spun deer hair (gray, brown or olive)
Whiskers: A few hen pheasant tail fibers (color accordingly, not shown on this fly)

Here are a couple images of this fly. Forgive the blurry one as my camera isn't very good at close ups.

If anyone has an questions about this or any suggestions to make it better feel free shoot me a message.

Forgot to mention one thing here. Tie the eyes in first normally (right side up) then flip the hook over and tie the rest of the fly upside down. Keeping the eyes down and the hook point up with help tremendously with fishing this fly on the bottom near rocks and other cover where they will be naturally. A lot less hang ups this way. Tight Lines.

Clouser has a stonecat/madtom pattern you can find in his latest book on fly fishing for smallmouth.

Back