stockingfoot hip waders

M

madifly

Hello-
Hit me with your recommendations for an adult pair of stockingfoot breathable hippers. Will supplement my Patagonia Chest waders. Thanks in advance.

Peter

I use an OLD & coveted pair of Hodgman Wadelite (unfortunately discontinued) breathable stocking foot hippers in the winter and love them, but there aren’t whole lot of choices any longer because most anglers go the waist high route.

I may be wrong, but I believe right now the only companies making them are Frogg Toggs - (Canyon II) Chota - (Hippies), Wychwood, a UK brand - (Profil Breathable Thigh Waders) and Bugaboo, another “off brand" - ("Hipster" Hip Waders).

I have the Hippies as a back up, but I don’t particularly care for them because the fit is WAY too tight and going up a size just increases the size of the bootie making IT too big.

I can't give you any other insight on the other brands except that the Bugaboo "Hipsters" look interesting to me because they DON'T look like they will be as tight as the other choices.

That brings up another problem, trying them on. I really doubt you will find anyone stocking them so you most likely will have to order something and return them if you are not satisfied.

One bit of advice I can give you is IF you find something you like…

…buy three pairs!!

Good luck!!

I bought a pair of Frogg Toggs Canyon II stocking foots several years ago just for fishing small mountain streams. I must say they have worked very well and I can definitely recommend them. Easy to get on and off and cooler than even my waist high Simms.

Chota Hippies. I like the originals better than the newer "tough" ones. Both are still available.

How would I differentiate between the 'old' and 'new' Chota Hippies? Do they each have a seperate model name? Thanks

The old ones are more of a khaki color, the new ones are more greenish. They also cost more than the old ones.

These are the new "tough" ones - Tundra

These are the originals

Looking into it further I found the W/P membrane has more layers on the original. Try them on with shorts or just feel the inside. While in use they just move and breathe better.

I've punctured hippies so perhaps the new ones will be more resistant. I'd rather be more comfortable and patch/replace as needed.

Back