Stocking Toe v Lug Sole Rubber Hip Waders

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

The Prof and I are converted and intend to fish the smaller "native" fish streams this year. But given the dense underbrush and prickers that surround a lot of these streams do you prefer the thicker rubber hip waders or will the lighter stocking toe hip waders cut the mustard?

Fade,

I posted this on another thread:
(click on "more views" to see how they fold up out of the way)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=E02H2CT3HAF4DLAQBBKCCOFMCAEFKIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat601979-cat602117&id=0069920831194a&navCount=11&podId=0069920&parentId=cat602117&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true&_requestid=12896

I've never used or seen them in action, but it is an interesting idea and seems perfect for hiking in to remote streams. I find rubber hippers terrible for hiking. The rubber boots are hot and offer no foot support whatsoever. They are okay for a short hike in, but don't cut the mustard for longer treks.

The stocking foot breathables (hipper or waist-highs) worn with wading boots are good, but are generally too fragile for brushbusting. The hipper/boots seem to be a great compromise. they can be folded down for the hike in, and pulled up when you reach the stream.

Here 's the thread I spoke of:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12403&forum=3

Good luck to you guys on your quest for the wilds.

I prefer waterproof hikers. I can always find places to cross.

Yet another option if you already have a pair of wading shoes is the Cabela's Three Forks stocking foot hippers. They're 420 denier and very durable in brush. I have duck hunting buddies who swamp-bust in these things. They're probably tougher than rubber and certainly tougher than the material the lighter breathables are made from from. They tend to seep in the bootie/upper joint after a couple hundred hours use, but a tube of Aquaseal fixes that and at 45 bucks for the boots, you're still ahead.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0000596830085a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=Three+forks&sort=all&Go.y=11&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=3

Leep: A lot of the reviews to the Cabella's post say the bootie is tight at the ankle and presents on and off issues. What have you experienced? Fade.

I'm a 10D foot with an ankle of about average girth, maybe a little less and there *is* a very slight constriction there for me. Not enough to be an annoyance in the off/on cycle, but present.

My brother-in-law the swamp-busting, alder-crashing duck hunter has feet and ankles like Neil Armstrong in a moon suit. I've never heard him complain about this portion of the fit. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a problem with it, I've just never heard him complain. He's pretty stoic..

If you're big footed/ankled and have a shorter than average fuse for frustration, this thing with the fit might be a negative consideration for you.

But they are a pretty durable boot and you can't beat the price.

Wet wade... if it's too cold for that, you might as well be wearing chest waders. I fish native stretches year round, and in the winter, typically wear my chest waders not for wading purposes, but for body heat.

Somehow, I've managed to last the cheap beans ($75) for over 200 days on the water. I'm now getting a new pair for this coming season, and plan to keep my old ones for bush walking.

You really do not understand the limitations of hip waders until you wear them for the first time in 2 yrs. after being in chest waders. Even on native runs, most of the time anyway, you will run across an area that is too deep for hippers.

Something to consider about hippers......after you step out of the water, then walk a few steps, Squat or go to your knees....and wa-la your butt cheaks are wet....just sayin. Gets me every time. :-D

Did it today in my muck boots planting trees. THen yer A$$ is wet for the ride home and you need to cover your seat cuz of the mud.....but I had my daughters 1991 F150. And as we all know.....Cowgirls don't cry!

I always wear waist high breathables, when it's hot, I just wear shorts under them and stay relatively comfortable, and no wet *** after kneeling down!, plus, I can sit down anywhere and not get wet. if it's real hot, I just wear lightweight nylon backpacking pants and wet wade, very refreshing!! still wear my wading boots though.
I've tried hippers, but in warm weather found them too hot when wearing them with jeans or other pants with a belt required for holding up the hippers.
not sure if there is a perfect answer out there, just a bunch of options that work for some but not others. those cabelas boot and wader combo do look interesting.

I wear hipper breathables or wet wade, depending on weather/mood. So far they've actually endured, which surprised me. They weren't all that expensive, so I thought why not give it a try.

What Maurice is saying is true. I often go to a knee or squat without thinking, and either end up over my boots or get my butt wet.

Back