Stocking Schedule vs Mentored Youth Day

turkey

turkey

Asking for a friend,

This isn't something I've ever paid attention to...is it normal that some streams don't receive a trout stocking prior to the Mentored Youth Day on March 30? A buddy of mine usually rounds up several families, they rent a few cabins and get the kids on a couple Westmoreland County streams. He mentioned to me today that the creeks in question wouldn't be stocked before the Youth day.

Anyone ever experience a similar issue? Obviously there are other creeks that get a truck full before Youth day. I'm just curious I guess.

Yes, a common issue, but my understanding of the program is to have an option nearby, not to have all creeks open a week early for the "youts...."

Yes, a common issue, but my understanding of the program is to have an option nearby, not to have all creeks open a week early for the "youts...."

'xactly...

If you are so inclined it's one of the advantages of having a published stocking schedule so you know where to go...

...or not go. ;)

'xactly...

If you are so inclined it's one of the advantages of having a published stocking schedule so you know where to go...

...or not go. ;)

My son turned 16 this year so my MY days are over.

We always found them easier to catch on Thursday or Friday but don't tell Mike K :whistle:

Probably a good number of stream sections that are not stocked before MYD have a special remark within the stocking instructions that reads “stock as close to opening day as possible,” “stock the week prior to opening day,” or something similar. One reason would be a history of substantial preseason poaching problems. Another would be trout residency problems. A third would be a history of substantial early spring flooding. There are probably other stream section specific reasons as well around the state.

I appreciate the insight everyone. And the chuckles Swattie 😃. Have a great weekend.

Back