Stocked Trout in heat wave on marginal streams

J

JeffP

I was at the beach in the middle the worst heat of the summer and my son posted a picture of his friend who is just getting into fly fishing. He posted 2 pictures of trout. The first 1 was really nice. This kid has a ton of money and travels a lot so I figured he was out west. I asked my son to ask where he got them. Here he caught them in Middle Creek in Lancaster County. He never should have been fishing then, but he doesn't really know and it was in the morning. I was just shocked that he caught 2 fish in the Middle of. bunch of 95 degree days.
Then I was at my mom's house on Kleinfeltersville Road just to check it out. Again this was after a series of low 90 degree days. That water below the dam has looked putrid all year and I figured trout were long gone. I was again shocked to see 3 brownies moving about and occasionally rising on the downstream side of the bridge. I know I planned to take some temps on lower Middle because of the wild trout I caught this spring and I wanted to see what the temps looked like. Honestly I was scared too. It was encouraging to sesl there's at least a few doing ok. Any other hopeful reports from a hot summer?

On Thursday I was checking out Wiconisco creek in central Pa. I saw 2 small trout hanging in the shade. Very low warm water. They were still sipping something of the top. Couldn’t tell what it was.

On July 17th I was fishing Maiden Creek in Berks County. Water was very warm as it had been hot for quite some time.

I was fishing for sunnies or smallmouths and was surprised to catch 3 of the most beautifully colored rainbows I've ever seen. Fish were all in one run.

I fished the creek at several locations that day and those were the only trout I saw. Caught bass, sunnies and chubs though.

Back