Stimulators

Baron

Baron

The first time I watched someone tie one of these, with the hope of learning it myself, I found it daunting, Kind of like Seeyalator........ Now my instincts tell me that I really need this in my arsenal and since I have more experience with tying I thinking of giving it a go.

Question is: Does this have to be tied as a floater. I prefer neutral buoyancy for Panfish and Pickerel. My thoughts are to use calf hair instead of Elk.

Any thoughts?

Use softer hackle ie hen for hackling the fly. The softer barbules will break surface tension of water much easier than rooster cape or saddle. Bugger hackle would be a good choice.

The deer hair wing also adds some floatability. Calf tail is a good substitute, may want to try other long furs such as squirrel tail, arctic fox, bear, craft fur or other synthetics.

Palmered wet flies used to be pretty popular.

This Killlarney wet fly looks real good.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/113972/

Is hen hackle shorter. I have saddle and as you said it is not the best and is too long. I’ll get that when I order. I have squirrel and like working with it.
On my trial run I find it fun to tie. With the right combos it may be a great producer. Below is my trial using herl instead of hackle. It looks like a Gill may like it. Size 10.
Tigereye wrote:
Use softer hackle ie hen for hackling the fly. The softer barbules will break surface tension of water much easier than rooster cape or saddle. Bugger hackle would be a good choice.

The deer hair wing also adds some floatability. Calf tail is a good substitute, may want to try other long furs such as squirrel tail, arctic fox, bear, craft fur or other synthetics.

Attachments

• 76293F32-583C-434E-A701-7C1F5C705BE4.jpeg
    76293F32-583C-434E-A701-7C1F5C705BE4.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 5
Baron,

Your version looks more like a Picket Pin to me than a Stimmie. Both are great patterns. The Stimulator is a really great pattern and can be tied in a ton of different versions, sizes and colors using lots of different materials. That’s what makes flytying really cool. Let your imagination run wild! The traditional Stimulator pattern can be a bit challenging for newer flytyers but if you practice tying a number of them it will really increase your skill in managing deer hair. One big problem folks have with tying Stimmies is crowding the eye of the hook. Be sure to give yourself plenty of room to dub the thorax and wrap the thorax hackle. The deer hair wing generally consumes more space when securing and tying it off than most new tyers plan for. I like tying a stimmie pattern as a variant with no hackle on the body and a cdc tail and wing. Have fun, the Baron Stimmie may just be your next fly added to your “ go to” list. Tight lines.

I like that for gills.

Baron wrote:
I like that for gills.
That comment was meant for Troutbert.

DC, it is amazing how, on the surface, to a layman fly-tier, they look very similar. But I see differences I how far forward the wing is attached on the thorax and also how and where the hackles are. It is easy to go off the grid and tie for what supplies are available as seen above. I do see where you mention Picket Pin. Although I think it will work well as is for gills I still haven't learned to tie a convincing Stimmie. I really want to perfect that which means ordering a few things.
Thanks

"Is hen hackle shorter. I have saddle and as you said it is not the best and is too long."

not necessarily, here is a good review on hen necks

https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-tie-better/hen-hackle-demystified

Tigereye,
Great Article and it made me do even more research, thanks. Two thing I have noticed that I had wrong in my head. 1-Wooly Bugger hackle is best when long and soft. 2-short hackle will come from grizzly or hen capes where there is more sizes and textures to choose from.

Lesson: I will buy my next feathers in person where I can examine their usefulness for the intended use.

Tying has been a fun path so far but man is it easy to get side-tracked.

When you get done developing the Stimulator wet fly, I hope you'll come up with the Clouser Minnow dry fly.

No worries as I've already perfected, lol.

I'm looking for neutral buoyancy on most of my dry flies. In otherwords once I pull them under I don't really want them to sink nor float back to the top. This works best for Panfish. Using Calf or squirrel should do it.
Don't you be lookin at my Panfish......

Back