Stillwater/ Quick release indicator

boogeyklat

boogeyklat

Hey guys,

I live in Philly but am heading up past the poconos next week for some lake fishing. I was wondering if anyone has used quick release strike indicators for fishing stillwater. I recently watch a guy on tv use this technique on Lake Superior and he did really well. The subtle waves kept the action going on the streamer and he caught every species in the lake. Seems like it could be fun form a boat. I usually just cast and strip for SMB but I would like to try this out. It appears if you just did a nice float you could cover a ton of water. It might not be as exciting and a bass striking as you're stripping the line. Anyone fish this way before on a lake?

Not sure what exactly is a "quick release" strike indicator...however, I use large strike indicators frequently in both rivers and lakes and find they are very useful for bass and sunfish.

There is a pin in the bobber when you get a strike it releases and then the bobber is free to move up and down the line. I have only used indicators for nymphing. I never thought of using it on a lake.

i use indicators on lakes all the time - to dead drift midge or buzzer patterns or small leeches.

its a UK style of fishing - you need a breeze on the water or small chop, cast across the ripple and let the team of flies dead drift naturally over weed beds, shoals or drop offs.

the indicator is used primarily as a depth setter with a floating line. as no shot or weight is used on the tippet of fly.

imho a lot more deadly than figure of eighting nymphs on a sinking line.

its a very relaxing way to fish and typically 10ft 6/7 rods are used.

cheers

Mark

The quick release sounds like an unnecessary item. I grew up fishing with a fly rod, a 1 inch plastic bobber, and 3 to 8 ft of line below it leading to some form of bait. The bait could now be micro jig, streamer, or nymph. It would still work. Or you could do the same thing with spinning tackle, as probably millions of anglers do for panfish around the country. What you describe will work. It is just a revised version of a decades old tactic.

those bobbers are used typically more for big andronomous fish - steelhead, salmon, LL, stripers etc when they use roe sacks, shrimp or worm fished along the bottom.

i use small yarn indicators and they go through the top ring no bother.

Thanks. It seems like fishing with bait but I'm gonna rig a rod up for it while taking a break on the lake to relax from casting.

do the same with a standard slip on indicator, just use a tip of tooth pic and carry some in a small container will work the same way.

Mike wrote:
The quick release sounds like an unnecessary item. I grew up fishing with a fly rod, a 1 inch plastic bobber, and 3 to 8 ft of line below it leading to some form of bait. The bait could now be micro jig, streamer, or nymph. It would still work. Or you could do the same thing with spinning tackle, as probably millions of anglers do for panfish around the country. What you describe will work. It is just a revised version of a decades old tactic.

The slip bobber allows an angler to fish very deep with a bobber. If your bobber depth is > the length of your rod, landing a fish becomes a problem. This bobber releases on the strike, allowing the angler to fight and land a fish with the bobber set at any depth.

Sandfly wrote:
do the same with a standard slip on indicator, just use a tip of tooth pic and carry some in a small container will work the same way.

I've also used a slip bobber as Sandy describes (when fishing with my 8 year old nephew....BTW! :lol:) But none the less, an interesting idea and a good way to present flies deep in lakes.

lets just call an indicator a bobber and get it over with :-D

Yeah really. At what point are we going to bust out the lawn chairs and coolers full of Miller Light?

Back