Still working on this Dragonfly

D

dubthethorax

I feel like the legs need work yet, but it's getting there.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 13
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
Awesome tie! What material did you use for the wings? I tied a couple up with swiss straw a few weeks ago but haven't fished them yet. Not sure how it'll hold up

It's some type of weird mylar sheeting I picked up in a clearance bin at a fly shop. It's really thick so it will definitely hold up. I tested it in a bowl and it definitely has enough foam to stay floating.

I do this one;

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice. care to explain the wings?

Nice, I'm liking the dragons guys.

I dye and burn my wings from raffia. then a thin coat of goop to toughen them up.

I'm guessing that does not stiffen them up too much for the cast?

That's a cool fly! What's the body? I've never seen foam with that sort of sparkle/sheen to it.

They are really cool looking, but I'm thinking you may need some sort of a swivel on your leader to deal with casting that critter.

That's what I was wondering.

Likely have to use nothing lighter than 2 or maybe 3x to deliver it. And you'll hear some buzzing as it flies by

jeremymcon wrote:
That's a cool fly! What's the body? I've never seen foam with that sort of sparkle/sheen to it.

You hand-tie the tail with regular craft foam from Michaels. I used blue. Cut a long strip and fold it in half. dab of glue at the bend and glue in the micro wire. Just use the micro wire and the over/under/between method for perfect segmentation up to the top of the tail. I then latch it on a Patridge Klinkhammer hook. I paint it with Prismacolors and then coat it with Hard-as-Nails. Once dry I do a 2nd coat. Snip the back right at the bend to flare out the tail and the glue you dabbed there will hold the foam together. Same thing for the top of the fly. The top and the small head are the foam using the same coloring technique, and the bottom is Jan-Siman peacock green dubbing. Micro-tubing for the legs.

Did this one with Bill Skiltons foam and warthog for the wings and Moose mane for the legs.

Attachments

• DSCF0500 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0500 (400x300).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0502 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0502 (400x300).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0503 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0503 (400x300).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
lv2nymph wrote:
I'm guessing that does not stiffen them up too much for the cast?

by dc410 on 2014/3/12 22:17:01

They are really cool looking, but I'm thinking you may need some sort of a swivel on your leader to deal with casting that critter.

by lv2nymph on 2014/3/13 6:14:43

That's what I was wondering.

So, they are fantastic ties. How do they cast ?

( inquiring minds want to know )

like a wet rag. I like the warthog wing one, seems to cast better. horse tail can be used to.

The wing material I use is pretty stiff so casting is awkward, but the spot I typically fish these in is a small farm pond behind a local township building where I'm only slapping it down 20 feet in front of me so I don't really have any problems.

Sellersville, below the cemetery ??

One of a couple of questions for ya, Is there anywhere you don't know Bob?
Also, is there any flies you can't tie? ;-)

still working on a fly to catch whales, and not sure of mexico (though I was there once)

Back