Still Trying Tying!

djs12354

djs12354

Still plugging away at this new sub-set of Fly-Fishing.

Here's some bead-head pheasant tails with soft hackle I tied up and an olive comparadun I tried as well.

Still fighting the hackle size, but I think the symmetry is improving.

Fire away!

Dave

Attachments

• Olive Comparadun.jpg
    Olive Comparadun.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Olive Comparadun Front.jpg
    Olive Comparadun Front.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
  • phes tail 2.jpg
    phes tail 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Phes Tail1.jpg
    Phes Tail1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
Trying to figure out why your wings are so long....

When you measure the stacked clump to the hook, you should be measuring shank length only. That's where you tied in the tail, to just behind the eye.

Somewhere between the measure part, and the tie down part, something is going wrong. Not trying to be a smartazz - can you see OK? Try Dan's magnifiers, and see if it helps.

The wing is also spinning around the hook. Make your first wrap looser, and tighten progressively as you wrap back. If you still get some wild hairs, you can pull them back up before you wrap the dubbing. Just pinch the whole clump, and spin it back to vertical. If this fails, just cut them off.

If the wing is off kilter, the fly will lay on it's side.

Also, might be a good idea to post tying stuff in the tying forum....

Keep at it Dave. Everyone will get better an better. An even the not so good ones will still catch fish. I have been tying for years. My ties are for fishing so there not all that good looking, but ya know what? The sure as shizz catch fish.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Trying to figure out why your wings are so long....

Somewhere between the measure part, and the tie down part, something is going wrong. Not trying to be a smartazz - can you see OK? Try Dan's magnifiers, and see if it helps.

Big Angels need big wings, ya know!

Seriously, I think I just need to err more on the side of smaller.

I have been using magnifiers

Just an aside, I think the length on the soft hackles is actually about right according the vid I was following.

I think some of the difficulty I'm having with the Caddis stems from the jaws of the vise and how ham-handed I get with my left hand. Lots of work left to do on technique. :)

In regard to the Comparadun:

Try to use the hook as a measuring tool. Finished wing length should be about 3/4 the length of the shank. Also tie the wing in a little farther back.

Finally, try bucktail, or coastal deer hair for the tail to control the wild flair. Also shorten the tail some.

Kev

I guess any fanned deer hair winged dry fly can be a comparadun but I tie mine with either split microfibbets for a tail or an antron shuck (sparkle dun). I think both of those material are better for tails on a comparadun.

I think the bottom pheasant tail is getting better. Would still try to get the soft hackle wings a little shorter. Also the tails could be a little shorter. That being said, you will catch fish with the bead head pheasant tails.

Let's go fishing Dave, the fly tying will come with more practice.

moonbeam wrote:
Let's go fishing Dave, the fly tying will come with more practice.

Yeah, I need a lot more practice on the fishing side, too!

Where are the dumb ones! :)

PennKev wrote:
In regard to the Comparadun:

Try to use the hook as a measuring tool. Finished wing length should be about 3/4 the length of the shank. Also tie the wing in a little farther back.

Finally, try bucktail, or coastal deer hair for the tail to control the wild flair. Also shorten the tail some.

Kev

Kev, thanks for the input. My measuring surely needs more work! I measure and think I have it, then look and it's "Awww, Crap!"

Dave

Phish_On wrote:
Keep at it Dave. Everyone will get better an better. An even the not so good ones will still catch fish. I have been tying for years. My ties are for fishing so there not all that good looking, but ya know what? The sure as shizz catch fish.

Phish - I'll be happy if I can make them good enough to foll fish!

McSneek wrote:
I guess any fanned deer hair winged dry fly can be a comparadun but I tie mine with either split microfibbets for a tail or an antron shuck (sparkle dun). I think both of those material are better for tails on a comparadun.

I think the bottom pheasant tail is getting better. Would still try to get the soft hackle wings a little shorter. Also the tails could be a little shorter. That being said, you will catch fish with the bead head pheasant tails.

McSneek - I thought the pheasant tails came out decently. The hackle may not be as long as it seems, but I'll try them out on the Lackawanna tomorrow and get the opinion of the judges!

Thanks for the critique!

Dave

djs12354 wrote:

Kev, thanks for the input. My measuring surely needs more work! I measure and think I have it, then look and it's "Awww, Crap!"

Dave

The measurments don't need to be exact from the get-go. You can tie the material in a little long with the first few wraps of thread and then gently pull the deer hair back so that the correct length remains exposed. Then securec it with a few more wraps.

Kev

Back