Stick on Eyes

MKern

MKern

Just wondering.
I just started using stick on eyes for streamers, and was wondering if you guys add some glue to the eye first- before placing it onto the streamer?

on deceivers I stick them to the head before I cement it. Other wise, superglue/zap a gap works fine.

I do, otherwise they don't last long. For flies like the Clouser Minnow (Floating or Deep), I like to follow Bob Clouser's recommendation and coat the fly with a thin layer of epoxy. I think he discusses the technique in his new book and in an article in FlyFisherman Magazine. But it's not much more involved than you would think. Just stir up some epoxy and paint it on. A rotating drying stand (like you'd use for rod building) is a help, but you can rotate them manually too. Having the epoxy slightly imperfect is hardly a problem.

If you've had a baby recently, you can steal his/her mobile and turn it in its side in a large vice. You can hook a fly to each of its arms. It'll turn them nicely...of course you'll have to wind it up every 15 minutes or so ...and the music!...that music!!!!

I love large, realistic looking eyes for saltwater patterns. My preferred way to fix them to the fly is to use a clear plastic base. I like the plastic lids that many yogurt brands have as a cover. They're transparent, clear and fairly thick but can easily be cut with scissors. Cut the plastic in a tear drop shape with the "fat" end the size of the eye - the "point" will be the end tied down to the head of the fly. Before you glue the eye to the plastic strip I like to take a swipe with 150 grit sandpaper over the plastic where the eye will be glued on for better adhesion. Epoxy or superglue usually works fine. This method allows the eyes to sit further back in the body of the streamer and eliminates the requirement to cover over the eye with epoxy.

Back