Stevens White Ghost, Tied in hand

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

This pattern is virtually identical to the Gray Ghost, except, obviously, the wing is white. The pattern in Hilyard lists a white hackle throat, yet the pattern for the gray ghost does not have this throat. It has been discovered lately though that the gray ghost should probably have a white hackle throat also.

The fly was tied entirely in hand, using only gossamer silk thread, scissors and wax.
The wing was pre-formed, i.e. stuck together with adhesive, just as Carrie Stevens did.
In the past I tied all my streamers with the wing components individually mounted, and i'm not sure how i feel about using adhesives to for the wing, but in the interests of tying an accurate fly, particularly in hand, i went the former route.

Such a difference to have a silver pheasant skin from with to select the shoulder feathers....the strung stuff just doesnt measure up. For comparison, i've added a photo of the Gray Ghost i tied in hand a couple weeks ago, and you can clearly see the difference in the shoulders. This fly will get a new wing. The hackles on both flies are different shapes, just a consequence of the saddles (Whiting American) and my selection process to match the side of the shoulder with nice wing hackles
One other thing i did on the White Ghost was to counter wrap the rib as i learned that Carrie Stevens tied her flies that way.

Thanks for looking.

Eunan

2014-02-12-07-25-34-418.jpg

2014-01-22-13-36-44-287.jpg

Sweet mother of god, they look good

Your flies are always very nice. By hand no less. Amazing.

GC

Beautiful Eunan.

Looks great Eunan. I like the comparison between flies as well. Quite a difference between silver pheasant there. Also interesting about the throat on the Gray Ghost.

Is there any specific reason that Stevens used a counter wrapped rib? I can't recall reading that in the Hilyards' book but I only read it once.

Really sharp looking.

Thanks everyone, glad you like them.

Re: the rib. It was pointed out to me by someone else (so i hope it is true). I went back to hilyards book and looked at the pictures of original Stevens flies, of those i looked at, they all had counter ribs. I didnt check every single one.

as for the throat, Don Bastian postulated the GG should have a white hackle throat too, he posted about it on his blog

http://donbastianwetflies.com/2012/09/12/gray-ghost-white-ghost/

Eunan

Eunan as always, it is a pleasure to view your flies and usually an education too. Don't stop!

I'll take 6 of each, seriously, pm me. I've got a couple of big streams that hold brookies that I want to try them on.

Thanks for sharing, Eunan, plus enjoyed reading your description of the individual flies.

TC

I must say, that's impressive.

Thanks one and all. Glad you like them, though my preference is for the white one.

Eunan

I ,of course, prefer the grey one. Closer to reality.

Gorgeous, and I prefer the White one also. Great work

Back